Tags : :
__Brain Surgeons Are Avoiding Cell Phones
Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:26 pm
Why Brain Surgeons Are Avoiding Cell Phones http://mercola.com [This is -- condensed.]
- Dr. Mercola's Comments: -- I find this New York Times article a very hopeful sign. Those "in -- the know" in the medical professions, after mountains of evidence -- have rendered it inarguable, are finally becoming aware of the very real -- dangers of cell phones. This is often the first step to such knowledge -- becoming common in the general population. And the truth is, we are on -- the verge of a brain cancer epidemic. It could grow to 500,000 cases as -- soon as 2010, and there may be over a million cases in the U.S. alone by -- 2015. -- Quite simply, money talks. -- In 2007 alone, the telecommunications industry spent almost $250 million -- on political lobbying. Over the past decade, they have spent a grand -- total of nearly $2.4 billion. Of course, that's just a drop in the -- bucket compared to their profits. In the single year of 2007, the top 20 -- telecom companies had combined revenues of more than $869 billion. -- The FDA is Bought and Paid For -- The EPA is Now Powerless -- The FCC is Bought and Paid For AND Has No Power! -- Essentially, the FCC is a mortgage holder for the mobile phone industry. -- This is a classic case of the fox guarding the henhouse. -- This Must Change, and it Will -- Reduce your cell phone use, keep it at least six inches away from your -- body, and turn your cell phone off when it isn't in use -- as long -- as your cell phone is on, it emits radiation intermittently, even when -- you are not actually making a call. Barring a life threatening -- emergency, children should not use a cell phone, or a wireless device of -- any type. Children are far more vulnerable to cell phone radiation than -- adults, because of their thinner skull bones. Use your cell phone only -- where reception is good; the weaker the reception, the more power your -- phone must use to transmit and the deeper the dangerous radio waves -- penetrate into your body. -- My New Book Due Out This Fall
- Related Articles: -- Cell Phones and Brain Tumors -- Cellular Phone Industry Just as Health-Harming as Big Tobacco? -- Are Cell Phones Safe for Your Children?
__Canadian Health Law Insanity
Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:18 pm
Canada's new proposed law calls food a drug. See the article at -- http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/06/19/vitamin-c-\ -- about-to-be-made-illegal-in-canada.aspx?source=nl -- Here's a petition to stop the bill: -- http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/StopC51
__A Healthcare Issue that Politicians Don't Address
Wed May 14, 2008 2:57 pm
How the American Medical Association Got Rich -- http://mercola.com -- The American Medical Association (AMA) was dictatorially led for the first half of the 20th century by Dr. George H. Simmons and his protégé Dr. Morris Fishbein. Simmons and Fishbein both served as general manager of the organization and as editor of its journal, the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA). -- Dana Ullman's book, "The Homeopathic Revolution: Why Famous People and Cultural Heroes Choose Homeopathy" describes how, in 1899, Simmons began his 25-year reign as head of the AMA. At that time, it was a weak organization with little money and little respect from the general public. Simmons came up with the idea to transform the AMA into a big business by granting the AMA's "seal of approval" to certain drug companies that placed large and frequent ads in JAMA. -- Advertising revenue increased substantially, from $34,000 in 1899 to $150,000 in 1909. Critics of the AMA have called their seal-of-approval program nothing but a form of extortion, since the AMA did no testing of any products. -- In 1924, Simmons was forced out of the AMA due to the many scandals swirling around him. One investigation revealed that: -- * Simmons had no credible medical credentials -- * He worked primarily as an abortion doctor for many years -- * He had had sex charges brought by some of his patients as well as charges of negligence in the deaths of others -- When he left, he took home all his personal files and burned them. -- His replacement, Morris Fishbein, was a specialist in publicity and the media; he was a medical doctor who never practiced medicine. Shortly after he became head of the AMA, he wrote several books sharply critical of medical practices that were not AMA approved. He called chiropractic a "malignant tumor," and he considered osteopathy and homeopathy "cults." Fishbein also extended Simmons's idea for the AMA seal of approval to foods, and by including a significant amount of advertising from food and tobacco companies, he was able to make the AMA and himself even richer. By 1950, the AMA's advertising revenue exceeded $9 million, thanks in great part to the tobacco companies. -- Sources: -- * AlterNet April 10, 2008 -- * The Homeopathic Revolution
- Dr. Mercola's Comments: -- This should certainly make you think twice when you see something christened with the AMA’s “seal of approval.” From the very beginning, the people behind the AMA were not about protecting your health; they were interested in gaining power and getting rich. And yet, it wasn’t that long ago that the AMA was still in the minority. -- People didn’t trust this new conglomeration, because in the 19th century, most Americans thrived on more natural approaches like homeopathic medicine. Then, in 1847, along comes the AMA. They wanted control and they wanted money, so what did they do? They kept all homeopathic physicians out of their “club,” and proceeded to call all related remedies “quackery.” If you didn’t want to pay to join the club (by advertising in JAMA), anything you recommended would also be criticized. -- Note that none of this was based on scientific evidence, or even anecdotal evidence of what was really healthy. It was solely about money. If you could buy your way in, your products and your name would be endorsed, end of story. Yet, at this time, people were still questioning the allopathic model that the AMA was touting. If you haven’t yet read Medical Control, Medical Corruption by Llewellyn H. Rockwell, Jr., please do, as it goes into great detail about the sordid events that followed. -- AMA: A True Medical Monopoly -- The AMA claimed that the public did not know what was good for it and that the medical establishment must have total control. And they have since gained just that. “Thanks to this central committee of the medical cartel [the AMA],” Rockwell writes, “the number of medical schools and medical students is drastically restricted, state licensure further obstructs the supply of doctors, fees are largely secret and controlled across the industry, alternative treatments and practitioners are outlawed, pharmacists and nurses are hamstrung, and the mystique of the profession rivals the priesthood, although priests have a somewhat lower income. Meanwhile, the customer pays through the nose, even if he does not go to an otolaryngologist.” -- To put it simply, they took control of the medical schools and made it so that only those who graduated from one of them could practice medicine. Well, since they controlled the schools, guess what was largely taught? How to use prescription drugs. “The Rockefeller family had invested heavily in allopathic drug companies and wanted doctors to use their products,” Rockwell writes, and so they also gave grants to the schools that the AMA endorsed. -- This medical monopoly is largely responsible for the problems that exist in conventional medicine today: -- * Heavy ties to the drug industry -- * Reliance on drugs, surgery and hospital stays -- * No competition, leading to outrageous prices that most Americans cannot afford -- * Calling tried-and-true natural remedies and most all non-medical doctors quacks -- If this topic interests you, I would strongly suggest viewing the video about the 1988 book Murder by Injection. It explains how the Rockefeller Syndicate, U.S. government officials and the AMA formed an unholy triumvirate that successfully gained control of America's health care industry in the early part of the 20th century -- control that still continues to this day.
- Related Articles: -- American Medical Association’s Secret Pact with the Federal Government -- The AMA -- Murder by Injection -- AMA Criticized for Letting Drug Firms Pay for Ethics Campaign
- Community Comments -- DrScott -- In October 1976, Chester Wilk, D.C. and four other chiropractors (one later dropped out) filed suit against the AMA. The Wilk suit also named many of the nation's other most prominenet medical groups as codefendants - groups such as the American Hospital Association, the American College of Surgeons, the American College of Physicians, and the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Hospitals. In 1987 (1) , following 11 years of legal action, a federal appellate court judge ruled that the AMA had engaged in a “lengthy, systematic, successful and unlawful boycott” designed to restrict cooperation between MDs and chiropractors in order to eliminate the profession of chiropractic as a competitor in the United States health care system. On August 24, 1987, after endless wrangling in the courts, U.S. District Court judge Susan Getzendanner ruled that the AMA and its officials were guilty, as charged, of attempting to eliminate the chiropractic profession. During the preceedings it was shown that the AMA attempted to: -- • Undermine Chiropractic schools -- • Undercut insurance programs for Chiropractic patients -- • Conceal evidence of the effectiveness of Chiropractic care -- • Subvert government inquires into the effectiveness of Chiropractic -- • Promote other activities that would control the monopoly that the AMA had on health care -- (This was upheld by the 7th United States Circuit Court of Appeals.) -- The AMA offered a patient care defense; however, data from Workmen's Compensation Bureau studies served to validate chiropractic care. Specifically, studies comparing chiropractic care to care by a medical physician were presented which showed that chiropractors were “twice as effective as medical physicians, for comparable injuries, in returning injured workers to work at every level of injury severity.” In short, the AMA was found guilty of Federal Crimes (sherman anti-trust laws) against the chiropractic profession. -- Tondelaya -- I have released myself from the mindset that I need physicians. Have not been to one in years. I am my own best caretaker. -- Joan Courtenay -- Excellent advice. A scientist and medical doctor whom I greatly respect once told me that conventional medicine, as it is being practiced in North America, is not a science but a religion. I would highly recommend a one hour PBS special I saw a couple weeks ago called Sick Around the World. A journalist from the Washington Post visited half a dozen countries around the world to see how their health care system worked compared to that in the U.S. You can check it out at pbs.org where you can buy the DVD or find full transcripts of the interviews he did with experts and ordinary citizens in these countries. It will astonish you and give you some ideas about how we in North American are being hoodwinked about "how it's too complicated and impossible to change our health care system." -- It opened my eyes and I thought I knew about a lot about how other countries medical systems worked. For example, several of the countries have taken legislated steps to prevent doctors from being gate-keepers. In other words you can see any doctor or specialist you want simply by making an appointment with them directly. No referral needed. Taiwan is one such country. Taiwan also has a state-of-the-art electonic health care card, their health care is universally provided to all, etc. etc. Other countries have various versions of the same thing. These countries are leading the way and we are falling further and further into decay. We need people to wake up. This PBS program did it for me. -- HealthCoachSandraG -- It gets worse. In the book "When Healing Becomes a Crime" a detailed description of how the AMA had a vandetta against natural therapies that they could not purchase and patent. Hoxsey had a better record of healing skin cancer than meds or radiation, won any case brought against him, but still have a 30-40 year battle with the power of the AMA, was eventually driven out of the country. -- Coconut123 -- I had and now have a back injury so I went to a paid worker's comp doctor. This was 1999. His report was not truthful but his assistant doctor wrote a more truthful report of what actually was wrong with my back. I also never got an MRI from him. He just read from a general x-ray. I had so much edvidence against him that I decided to report him to the AMA. Well, I phoned the AMA and I asked about this doctor and I was told he was the President of the local board in this area. I gave up of course. I knew it was a waste of time. Later, I went to a presurgical doctor and I was told that this worker comp doctor was paid $3,000 to 4,0000 in fees not to treat me so I would go away. I got a lawyer and I am now with disabilities of 40%. Also, this presurgical doctor I saw for 6 visits told me that she would think of something to get me 6 more appointments, which I didn't want. You can't trust worker's comp. I can tell you more stories about worker's comp. Nightmare! -- EQ -- Bummer about the worker's comp nightmare. I had to go to a worker's comp doc about 2.5 years ago. I got really lucky. She was a very cool, and very open minded D.O. She was so amazed at how quickly I healed that she asked me to refer her to the other techniques I was learning. Amazing when a health professional is human & humble enough to learn from their patients at the same time they are trying to help. I wish there were more doctors like her. -- TCarmichall -- I too suffered from a work related injury a few years back. Upon talking with my chiropractor I decided to let him treat it. When I spoke to the gal in Human Resources for my company, she told me quote "Chiropractors aren't real doctors" and that they wouldn't allow me to use one for my treatment. Upset and discouraged I told my chiropractor this and he responded with "Who is your company's Worker's Comp insurer?" When I told him the name he told me he was a preferred provider for them. So I called the Insurance Agency myself and needless to say they were more than happy to let my chiropractor treat me!!! I am so glad I did this. I know so much more about being healthy now, I'm glad I didn't go to some allopathic doctor who would have just drugged me! I am 100% "healed" through adjustments, massage and ultrasound therapy. Amen. -- trishaspring50 -- My Mother had a saying after living 14 years, by refusing conventional slash/burn/poison for lung cancer: "You go to a Allopathic Doctor, You get what you deserve." That was after she was given 2-6 months to live and went to a "homeopathy cult" who cared truly for her. -- Avery Marie -- A chiropractor was able to do to my arm what no doctor could. As far as homeopaths, although my physician told me that I will have a thyroid problem for the rest of my life and that there is no cure, four days after receiving a remedy from a homeopathic physician, much to my surprise, I am experiencing changes indicating that reversal is taking place. -- KelleyEidem -- Morris Fishbein played a central role in destroying the reputation of Dr. Emanuel Revici. The story is told in the book "The Doctor Who Cures Cancer." Fishbein singled out Revici in a famous speech he gave when he said, "Of all the ghouls who feed on the bodies of the dead and dying, the cancer quacks are the most heartless. Heaven speed the day when the advances of medical science against cancer, most dreaded of diseases, will deprive these ghouls of the sad soil on which they nourish themselves." Fishbein bragged about enlisting the aid of the IRS whenever he wanted to destroy one of his targets. Few people are more responsible for the suffering cancer patients have faced in the last 50 to 60 years than Morris Fishbein. -- herbprof -- If you combine the AMA with the FDA you have a real two headed monster loose. Here is a huge tragedy dropped on the American public by this monster that few people know about. The 3M Company developed Tambocor an antiarrhythmic heart drug in 1989. A great deal of money and pressure was applied and this drug was pushed through quickly and released on the market. Within less than 2 years over 50,000 Americans were dead before the drug was pulled. That is equal to all the war dead in Vietnam. You would think that this would be enough to destroy or change this monster or at least get a legal handle on it. But the whole horrible mess was swept under the political rug. It was hushed up and the American public is unaware that this ever happened. Read the book Deadly Medicine, by Thomas J. Moore. -- tomalex -- We need to educate our neighbors.The more people on our side, the larger the bulwark against this monstrosity. Unfortunately, many people want to be ignorantly bliss and are a large reason for the success of the ama and the system surrounding it. It's a battle for the minds of the people and unfortunately the people are losing miserably. Even when we want to do the right thing it's very difficult in the world we live in. For the dolts who don't even care, it's impossible unless the system is completely overhauled. -- Dana Ullman -- I am truly honored that mercola.com choose to excerpt from my writing (I really love this site and respect Dr. Mercola). For people interested, the above article is a shortened version of the one at http://www.alternet.org/healthwellness/81659, and this is an excerpt from my new book, "The Homeopathic Revolution: Why Famous People and Cultural Heroes Choose Homeopathy". More info about the book is at: www.homeopathic.com, www.HomeopathicRevolution.com -- imahomeopath -- Homeopathy is not a cult, rather a scientific system with a 200+ year history, well proven in clinical practice and trials. The evidence is readily available, although one must be careful not to be misled by those who would have us believe otherwise. -- MITCHIND -- WHEN ARE YOU PEOPLE IN THE USA GOING TO START USING THE " DEMOCRACY" YOU PrIDE YOURSLEVES ON. DO A CALIFORNIA RECALL AND GET RID OF FEW SENATORS, CONGRESS PEOPLE, ETC. THEY WILL START TO HAVE TO LISTEN TO YOU. INUDATE THEM WITH MAIL SO THEY KNOW THE GAME IS UP. IN AUSTRLIA THEY HAVE TO WRITE A REPLY. SPEND YOUR MONEY AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE WITH THESE PEOPLE. IF YOU TRAVEL BUY YOUR DRUGS WHSILT OVERSEAS. TAKE UP A BETTER LIFESTYLE AND DOnt GET AS SICK AND SCREW THEM BY DEFAULT. YOUR MOST IMPORTANT VOTE IS WITH WHOM AND HOW YOU SPEND YOUR MONEY -- health nut -- Dr Fishbein's name has been read of before in a book titled "You 'Don't Have to Die". What a shame that one person could have such power that he awarded himself. My husband went to Tijuana, Mexico 20 years ago and was treated for melanoma cancer at the Bio Medical by Mildred Nelson with the Hoxsey treatment. The doctors here, in the US, told us if he had surgery and a skin graft and even IF they got it all that it would be back in 3 years and he probably would not be here in 5 years. Thanks to being told of Mildred taking this treatment to Mexico in the 60's we were able to travel there for treatment. My husband has never had surgery, chemo, radiation nor has he EVER been sick. We go back every year for check-ups and he has not had a recurrence since that time. How sad it is that everyone cannot know of the success of this treatment available at the Bio Medical Center today! -- saynotoquacks -- This reminds me of how the American Psychiatric Association's very first chairman, Ewan Cameron, presided over MKULTRA, the CIA's Cold War brainwashing project. Very evil stuff. -- dar/ -- Morris Fishbein was instrumental in ruining Royal Rife and his machine to cure cancer which was filmed and documented killing cancer. Fishbein wanted a financial interest and Royal Rife who had been supported by interested parties who supported his research could not sell any interests in his machine. Per usual he was impoverish from litigation of the AMA. The Rife story is well documented in a video showing this remarkable machine as well as results using this machine. -- laurellee -- Forbidden Cures http://www.wovoca.com/controversies-forbidden-cures.htm
__Bees, Birds, Frogs - and Now Bats Dying
Mon May 5, 2008 7:39 pm 524
Why are Bats Dying? - http://mercola.com - http://freewebs.com/emr2
- Dr. Mercola's Comments: Something is terribly wrong here. Three of the world’s greatest pollinators -- the creatures that are actually responsible for spreading pollen so plants can grow -- are slowly disappearing right before your eyes. First it was the bees. Then the birds. Now the bats.What’s next? . The current bat die-off is already being called the most serious threat to North American bats since the beginning of recorded history. In New York, up to 90 percent of the bats hibernating in four caves and mines have died since last winter, and more bats are thought to have died at 15 other New York sites, and also in Massachusetts and Vermont. Biologists believe that up to half a million bats could ultimately be lost, which would have a major impact on the upcoming growing season. . Bats are Necessary for Crops to Thrive ... In reality, bats are a great friend to the environment, helping to pollinate wild plants, disperse fruit seeds, and keep insect populations under control. Bats are also used strategically by organic farmers as a natural means for pest control, as one small bat can eat up to 2,000 mosquitoes in one night. So you can imagine how mosquitoes and other bugs will multiply without bats to keep them in check. . Other Pollinators are Also Disappearing As I said earlier, the problem of disappearing bats is magnified because other North American pollinators, namely birds and bees, are also on the decline. According to a report by the National Audubon Society, for instance, the numbers of some species of birds have plummeted by 60 percent to 80 percent. And as of April 2007, 25 percent of all bee colonies in 27 U.S. states had died. The growing absence of these necessary creatures is signaling a silent alarm bell about the state of our ecosystem. Even the U.S. Department of Agriculture is calling it an “impending pollination crisis.” Something is throwing things off balance, and, little by little, nature is dying. Eventually, it will no longer be a gradual occurrence, but rather like when you put a stick into a turning bicycle wheel, everything will abruptly come to a halt, and likely fall. . What’s Killing Off the Bees, Birds and Bats? Nobody knows for sure. And my guess is that it is not one thing but rather an accumulation of things such as: * Pesticides and other environmental toxins * Cell phones and information-carrying radio waves * Genetically modified crops . In the case of bats, new pesticides that are designed specifically to fight West Nile Virus are also likely culprits. These pesticides kill mosquitoes, and bats need mosquitoes to survive. As a telling sign, bats that have been found dead appeared to have died from starvation, as their fat stores were largely depleted. There is also a sign that something is altering their behavior, as bats have been found flying during the winter and during the day, while they should have been hibernating. . Can Life Go on Without the Birds and the Bees (and the Bats)? Not for long, no. One-third of the U.S. food supply is dependent on the pollination from bees alone, and without bats or birds, the food supply as you know it would be long gone. . Is there anything you can do? Well, on a local level, yes. I would suggest contacting your town’s city officials to protest spraying the area with pesticides to combat West Nile Virus [See http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2003/06/14/pesticides-west-nile.aspx ]. Next, if you have a backyard, consider putting up a couple of bat houses [See http://www.batcon.org/home/index.asp?idPage=47 ], a bird feeder, and a bird bath, then planting some flowers that attract bees, such as: * Basil, rosemary, sage and thyme; * Lavender; * Geraniums; * Sunflowers; * Verbena; * Zinnias; * Bee balm; * Cosmos. These are small steps, but no contribution is too small when it comes to our one and only environment.
- Related Articles: Loss of Bees Threatens Ice Cream Another Possible Explanation for the Devastating Disappearance of Honeybees How Cell Phones are Killing Birds
- Community Comments Pat Ormsby For anyone interested in a comprehensive overview of research on how bees are affected by EMR, including a time line and notes on vested-interest efforts to suppress this, see "Disappearing Bees: CCD & EMR" http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2008/02/392060.html - The connection is really a lot clearer than I thought. . I think what we need to do is start lobbying for places to be set aside free from artificial sources of radiation. As more and more people begin to see how radiation is affecting them, there will be more support for this and a growing economic incentive to promote these zones as a healthy place to vacation or live. Currently, by the time most people realize they've been made ill by radiation, they've been impoverished by their mysterious disease. That is one reason no one has been able to establish such zones yet. Another reason is a very well funded disinformation campaign by vested interests. If it could be shown that people and creatures living in radiation-free zones were indeed healthier, the telcos would be in trouble and the military would face lawsuits. We have to realize what we are up against, but not let it stop us. . samsara As far as outdoor sports...citronella, cedarwood and clove essential oil prep's work wonders. There is also netted clothing that works too. WE must continue to investigate, question, explore natural options, and think of the long term ramifications of pesticide use, I am sure that outdoor activities will still be a part of our lives... . emoritz You need to contact your city council about spraying for mosquitoes [so bats won't be poisoned] - not just one person, but a whole bunch of you. Go to the people in your faith group who see the connection between caring for the environment and their love for the Creator, and get them to join you. It takes a lot of voices to move a city council, but it can be done, slowly but surely. I live in a city of about 35,000 with one token "Green" person on the council. Spraying for mosquitoes has been decreasing over the past few years simply because a small, very vocal group of people have asked for it. Good luck. . CEM As a chronic Lyme sufferer (something else our government is underestimating and ignoring), one of my predominant symptoms is that my tongue is always, infallibly coated white - but especially so when exposed to things like cell phones and wi-fi! I feel like a nutcase mentioning this to even my Lyme doctors, because their concern is treating chronic Lyme, not the dying bats or the disappearing honeybees. . Am I comparing myself to the dying bats and bees? You bet I am. My tongue tends to turn whiter whenever I find myself being exposed to any increase in electromagnetic and/or microwave field and other information-carrying waves. I even measured my exposure with a gaussmeter. In other words, we are messaging microorganisms to reproduce out of control, while at the same time messaging our body's immune systems to turn down the volume and otherwise self-destruct. These fields also destroy that very critical blood-brain barrier, leaving us wide open to infectious disease and toxicity - and why is Lyme so difficult to kill? - because it crosses the blood-brain barrier! . I'm truthfully not certain which frequencies triggered my illness since all of them increase my symptoms now - whether it was one frequency or several or just the current saturations in our environment of EMF/RF, but I do know they are the primary reason for my illness. If all wireles technology would explode tomorrow, at least one woman in the NE would be thanking God for finally, finally, finally answering her prayers. . healthnutmom I can't believe you just wrote that CEM. I too had Lyme (for 6 years). I don't have any "symptoms" anymore but I CANNOT be in a room when the microwave is on and cell phones give me migraines. If I stand too close to a television I start to feel funny and I can tell if we are driving near an electric tower with my eyes closed because I actually feel a "buzzing". This all started after I came down with Lyme. . My family thinks I am crazy because they don't understand what I feel because they feel nothing near these sources of energy. I have never told anyone about this because it sounds crazy even to me - but to hear someone else with the same thing makes me think maybe I am not crazy after all. What I feel is REAL. . Mikosch Pesticides, cell phones and genetically modified crops are all good conjectures on why our pollenators are being decimated. There is another possibility, which I know smacks of "government conspiracy," but it may just have some validity. And, that is the phenomenon of "chemtrails." The conspiracy therorists claim that governments around the world are collaborating on an effort to blanket the world, or at least Canada and the US, with particulate matter added to the contrails of jet planes. "Official" responses claim that aerosol spraying of aluminum into the upper atmosphere is intended to offset global warming by reflecting some of the sun's light back into space. What idiot ever thought of that!? When the aluminum eventually falls to earth, it will contaminate everything. We'll all be alzheimers patients before long! It is also suspected that viruses and biological pathogens are being sprayed down on the public as well, probably by Big Pharma, so that when everyone is sick, they can sell us all drugs to treat our sores (morgellon's?), allergies and diseases. The Book of Revelation, curiously enough, says that "there FELL (from the sky?) a noisesome and grievous sore upon those living on the earth..." The conspircy theorists may not be far off!
__Genetically Modified Foods are Serious Threat
Fri May 2, 2008 11:26 am 522
[Shocking Facts about GMOs with Video Links and Shopping Guide below - LK] -- Lab animals fed GM diets show Damage to virtually Every body system studied! - The article at http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Monsanto_and_GM_Foods:_Health_Risks is extensively documented. Here is a summary of some of its most important statements. In the 90s the FDA was under orders from the first Bush White House to promote the biotechnology industry, and the political appointee in charge of agency policy was the former attorney for biotech giant Monsanto—and later became their vice president. The FDA policy ignored scientists’ warnings and allowed GM food crops onto the market without any required safety studies. From the few safety tests that have been conducted [by non-FDA scientists], the results are disturbing—lab animals fed GM diets show damage to virtually every system studied. Reports from farmers are even less encouraging—thousands of sick, sterile and dead animals are traced to GM feed. And there are sufficient links to allergies to conclude that GMOs are probably contributing to the rise in food allergies. This article explores some of the disturbing findings. GM diet findings: Toxic reactions in digestive tract, causing damage in the stomach and intestines; Liver damage; Higher death rates and organ damage; Reproductive system damage, reproductive failures and infant mortality; Farmers report livestock sterility and deaths; Impeding digestion, leading to widespread allergies; Toxic pesticides and other toxicants in GMOs. See the Shocking World By Monsanto videos!!! http://au.youtube.com/results?search_query=shocking+world+by+monsanto&search_type= http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbn_WIW_smw - The Future of Food http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3643830908060069005 ARE YOU ONE OF THE 9 OUT OF 10 AMERICANS OPPOSED TO UNLABELED GM FOODS? - This guide is produced by The Institute for Responsible Technology, your consumer safety partner and a world leader in exposing the health risks of GMOs. Look for our Non-GMO Shopping Guide coming in mid-2008. For more details or to make a donation, please go to www.responsibletechnology.org -- HOW TO MAKE SAFER BUYING CHOICES [See http://mercola.com] GMO Defensive Shopping List - What crops are most often GMOs? Examples of products commonly containing GMOs SOY (89% of soy contains GMO)* Chocolates use soy lecithin; Breads use soy flour; Shakes use soy protein concentrate; Baby formulas use soy milk. CORN (61% of corn contains GMO)* High fructose corn syrup is found in sodas, cereals, cookies, candy, salad dressings, spaghetti sauces, and 1,000 other products. Baked goods use cornstarch; Vegetable oils use corn oil; Breads use corn flour. CANOLA (80% of canola contains GMO)* Fried products use canola oil; Baked goods use canola oil; Many health products use canola oil. COTTON (83% of cottonseeds contains GMO)* Chips use cottonseed oil; Fried snacks use cottonseed oil. * Percentage of GM cotton, corn, and soy in the US and GM canola grown in Canada. TIP #1: BUY ORGANIC - There are three types of organic labels: * “100% ORGANIC” means all ingredients are organic. * “ORGANIC” means that at least 95% of the ingredients are organic. The other 5%, however, still have to be non-GMO. * “MADE WITH ORGANIC __ (ingredient name, e.g. SOY).” This label means that at least 70% of the ingredients are organic, but the remaining 30% still have to be non-GMO. If the term organic is ONLY in the list of ingredients and not found anywhere else on the package, then there is no required percentage for organic ingredients in the product, and any non-organic ingredient may be GMO. TIP #2: LOOK FOR”NON-GMO” LABELS Companies may voluntarily label products as “non-GMO”. Some labels state “ non-GMO” while others spell out “MADE WITHOUT GENETICALLY MODIFIED INGREDIENTS “. Some products limit their claim to only one particular “AT-RISK” ingredient such as soy lecithin, listing it as “non-GMO”. TIP #3: AVOID AT-RISK INGREDIENTS -- The four major GM crops are soy, corn, cottonseed, and canola. Three minor crops are Hawaiian papaya, and a small amount of zucchini and yellow crook neck squash. These 7 crops look just like their non-GMO counterparts. Novel products such as seedless watermelons, pear/apple combos, and tangelos are products of natural breeding and are NOT genetically engineered. Most GM ingredients are products made from corn and soybeans, used in processed foods. (See chart on page 4.) There is no GM popcorn on the market, nor is there blue or white GM corn. Help stop the introduction of GM sugar in late 2008. Send a letter to top companies on our website. TIP #4: USE SHOPPING GUIDES -- There are a few non-GMO shoppers’ guides available based on information directly from food producers. The True Food Guide, available online at www.truefoodnow.org, has also been reproduced as an insert in the back of the informative book on GMOs, Your Right To Know, by Andrew Kimbrell. Go to www.seedsofdeception.com OTHER WAYS TO AVOID GMOs ANIMAL PRODUCTS - Meats, dairy products, farmed fish, and eggs are usually from animals fed GM feed. To avoid, buy “ORGANIC”, “WILD CAUGHT”, or meat or dairy from “100% - GRASS-FED” animals. Avoid dairy products from cows injected with GM bovine growth hormone (called rbGH or rbST). See www.responsibletechnology.org for brands. Honey and bee pollen may have been gathered from GM plants. PRODUCTS FROM GM MICROORGANISMS -- There are many additives, enzymes, flavorings, and processing agents used in foods which are produced by GM bacteria, yeast, or fungi. To avoid them, either buy organic or stick to non-processed foods. GMO SWEETENER ASPARTAME - Avoid the GMO derivative labeled as the sweetener aspartame. It is also referred to as NutraSweetÂ® and EqualÂ® and is found in over 6,000 products, including soft drinks, gum, candy, desserts, mixes, yogurt, tabletop sweeteners, and some pharmaceuticals such as vitamins and sugar-free cough drops. AVOID GMOs IN RESTAURANTS - Try to go to restaurants that cook meals from scratch and do not use packaged, processed mixes and sauces which will likely have GM ingredients. At-risk ingredients include corn chips and tortillas, tofu, soy sauce, and sweet corn. Vegetable oil is usually made from GM soy, corn, cottonseed, or canola and is used by most restaurants. Find out if your restaurant uses vegetable oil, and if so, ask if they can cook YOUR meal without oil or with a non-GMO oil, such as olive, sunflower, or safflower. Buy non-GMO. Help us stop the genetic engineering of our food supply. Membership in the Institute For Responsible Technology is $25 and includes a free educational gift. Donations to IRT are tax-deductible. Become a member or make a donation through the website, or mail a check to: Institute For Responsible Technology, P.O. Box 469 Fairfield, IA 52556, www.responsibletechnology.org or call (641) 209-1765 INSTITUTE FOR RESPONSIBLE TECHNOLOGY - The Institute is a fully tax deductible project of The Coordinating Council, a 501c(3). INVISIBLE GM INGREDIENTS - Processed foods often have hidden GM sources (unless they are organic or declared non-GMO). The following are ingredients that may be made from GM soy, corn, cottonseed, or canola. aspartame, gluten, modified starch, baking powder, glycerides, monosodium glutamate, bee pollen, glycerin, oleic acid, caramel color, glycerol, Phenylalanine, cellulose, glycerol monooleate, phytic acid, citric acid, glycine, sorbitol, cobalamin (Vitamin B12), hemicellulose, soy flour, corn gluten, high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), soy isolates, corn masa, hydrogenated starch, soy lecithin, corn oil, hydrolyzed vegetable protein, soy protein, corn syrup, inositol, starch, cornmeal, invert sugar (colorose or inversol), stearic acid, cornstarch, tamari, inverse syrup, cyclodextrin, isoflavones, tempeh, cystein, lactic acid, threonine, dextrin, lecithin, tocopherols (Vitamin E), dextrose, leucine, tofu, diacetyl, lysine, trehalose, diglyceride, malitol, triglyceride, fructose, maltodextrin, vegetable fat, fructose (crystalline), maltose, vegetable oil, glucose, mannitol, Vitamin B12, glutamate, methylcellulose, Vitamin E, glutamic acid, milo starch, xanthan gum Our understanding is that ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), although usually derived from corn, is probably not GM because it is not made in North America. Honey and bee pollen may contain GMOs if the beehives are near GM crops. This list is continually being updated and refined. For the most recent version, see www.responsibletechnology.org © copyright Institute For Responsible Technology 2008 Jeffrey M. Smith is the author of publication Genetic Roulette: The Documented Health Risks of Genetically Engineered Foods, which presents 65 risks in easy-to-read two-page spreads. His first book, Seeds of Deception, is the top rated and #1 selling book on GM foods in the world. He is the Executive Director of the Institute for Responsible Technology. www.responsibletechnology.org, which is spearheading the Campaign for Healthier Eating in America. Go to www.seedsofdeception.com to learn more about how to avoid GM foods. Spilling the Beans is a monthly column available at http://www.responsibletechnology.org . The website also offers eater-friendly tips for avoiding GMOs at home and in restaurants. Permission is granted to publishers and webmasters to reproduce issues of Spilling the Beans in whole or in part. Just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can keep track. Contact us for a higher resolution of the brochure if needed. For a more in-depth look at 65 health risks of GM foods, excerpted from Jeffrey Smith's comprehensive new book Genetic Roulette: The Documented Health Risks of Genetically Engineered Foods, click here. http://www.seedsofdeception.com/Public/GeneticRoulette/HealthRisksofGMFoodsSummaryDebate/index.cfm
__Explanation of Aspartame Dangers
Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:49 pm 520
- Dr. Mercola's Comments: - http://mercola.com Aspartame is a poison that does not belong in your body, and this is not an exaggeration. Yet, this toxic substance is consumed by over 200 million people around the world and is found in more than 6,000 products. Everything from soda and chewing gum to desserts, yogurt, and even some vitamins and cough drops contain it. When you drink, say, a can of diet soda sweetened with aspartame, what are you REALLY consuming? Here’s a breakdown of aspartame’s three chemicals: the amino acids aspartic acid and phenylalanine, and methanol. . 1. Aspartic acid (40 percent of aspartame) Aspartate acts as a neurotransmitter in your brain by facilitating the transmission of information from neuron to neuron. Too much aspartate in your brain kills certain neurons by allowing the influx of too much calcium into your cells. This influx triggers excessive amounts of free radicals, which kill your cells. The neural [brain] cell damage that can be caused by excessive aspartate is why Dr. Russell Blaylock refers to them as "excitotoxins." They "excite" or stimulate your neural cells to death. Now, when aspartic acid is consumed, it significantly raises your blood level of aspartate, which leads to a high level of those neurotransmitters in certain areas of your brain, where they slowly begin to destroy neurons. . Your brain cells could be dying right now, but you likely would not notice the symptoms until 75 percent or more are gone. Then, chronic illnesses such as the following, which may by caused by long-term exposure to excitatory amino acid damage, may occur: * Multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer’s disease * Memory and hearing loss * Hormonal problems * Epilepsy * AIDS * Brain lesions * Neuroendocrine disorders . 2. Phenylalanine (50 percent of aspartame) Phenylalanine is an amino acid normally found in your brain, however people with the genetic disorder phenylketonuria (PKU) cannot metabolize phenylalanine. This leads to dangerously high -- and sometimes lethal -- levels of phenylalanine in your brain. It has been shown, though, that ingesting aspartame, especially along with carbohydrates, can lead to excess levels of phenylalanine in your brain even if you do not have PKU. . Even consuming aspartame one time has been found to raise your blood levels of phenylalanine. What’s the risk of this? Excessive levels of phenylalanine in your brain can cause the levels of serotonin in your brain to decrease, leading to emotional disorders such as depression. It can also cause schizophrenia or make you more susceptible to seizures. . 3. Methanol (aka wood alcohol) (10 percent of aspartame) Methanol/wood alcohol is a deadly poison, and the absorption of methanol into your body is sped up considerably when free methanol is ingested. Well, free methanol is created from aspartame when it is heated to above 86 degrees Fahrenheit (30 Centigrade). This would occur when an aspartame-containing product is improperly stored (in the sun, for instance) or when it is heated, such as part of a "food" product like Jello. . Meanwhile, methanol breaks down into formic acid and formaldehyde -- a deadly neurotoxin -- in your body. Even the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) states that methanol "is considered a cumulative poison due to the low rate of excretion once it is absorbed. In the body, methanol is oxidized to formaldehyde and formic acid; both of these metabolites are toxic." They recommend a limit of consumption of 7.8 mg/day, but a one-liter aspartame-sweetened beverage contains about 56 mg of methanol. Heavy users of aspartame-containing products consume as much as 250 mg of methanol daily -- or 32 times the EPA limit! . The symptoms of methanol poisoning are numerous and varied. They include: * Vision problems * Headaches, ear buzzing, dizziness * Nausea and gastrointestinal disturbances * Weakness, numbness and shooting pains in your extremities * Behavioral disturbances * Memory lapses . Do You STILL Believe Aspartame is Safe? I could literally go on for days about the many problems plaguing this artificial sweetener; both the dangers it poses to your health and the blatant greed and manipulation that got it on the market. That is why I spent years researching and writing Sweet Deception. It is the most comprehensive book on the market addressing this issue, and if you or your loved ones drink diet beverages or eat diet foods, please read it sooner rather than later. I also highly recommend watching Sweet Misery, which is part documentary, part detective story that sheds much-needed light on the controversy surrounding aspartame. . Folks, aspartame is not your friend. It is actually responsible for 80-85 percent of the food complaints registered with the FDA! Aside from the damage it can do to your brain, aspartame can cause cancer. One well-controlled, peer-reviewed, SEVEN-year study even found that as little as 20 mg per day can cause cancer in humans. One 12-ounce diet soda contains about 180 mg of aspartame, so you do the math on that risk! . If you have NutraSweet or Equal packets in your home, I urge you to get rid of them. About the only good use for them I’ve heard about is using them to kill ants in your kitchen. And if you’re consuming diet foods or drinks of any kind, toss those as well. Your health will be much better off for it. If you find you’re still having sweet cravings or are having a hard time giving up your diet soda, Turbo Tapping is a simple tool to help you get rid of your soda addiction in a short period of time. And in the case of aspartame, getting it out of your diet can’t come fast enough. . Related Articles: One Woman's Astonishing Experiment With Aspartame NutraSweet Shown to Cause Cancer Aspartame Disease: An FDA-Approved Epidemic
Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:28 pm 519
Antibiotics: Panacea or Poison? -- http://mercola.com 95 percent of antibiotic prescriptions [are] completely unnecessary and often harmful. First of all, antibiotics do carry side effects, including an increased risk of breast cancer, asthma, allergies, and damage to your nervous system. They also strip your gut of its natural, healthy bacteria... [Removing these healthy bacteria] weakens your immune system, and can lead to all sorts of diseases and additional ailments. . Antibiotic Resistance is a Major Man-Made Problem Additionally, the unrestrained use of antibiotics in the United States and elsewhere -- for things like colds, coughs, sore throats, ear aches and the flu, which cannot be treated with antibiotics and usually clear up on their own -- has already led to alarming increases in antibiotic resistance. . You’ve heard of the recent surge in drug-resistant MRSA? An overuse of antibiotics, in humans and also in agriculture and livestock, is to blame. To get an idea of the magnitude of the issue, a study published October 2007 in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) found there were close to 100,000 cases of invasive MRSA infections in the United States in 2005, which lead to more than 18,600 deaths. To put that number into perspective, HIV/AIDS killed 17,000 people that year. Meanwhile, several common antibiotic ingredients have already become less effective due to the increase in drug-resistant bacteria.... . What Does All of This Mean? It means that you had best take care and get your immune system healthy so that you can easily fight off disease-causing viruses and bacteria that you’re exposed to. This means doing all those things you know you should be doing, but perhaps aren’t doing enough of: * Eating right * Sleeping well * Keeping stress under control * Exercising [Something Dr. Mercola doesn't seem to aware of is MMS, a mineral that is great for destroying harmful bacteria and other pathogens, as well as improving the immune system. The immune system is the body's natural defense against pathogens. See MMS info at http://freewebs.com/sc2p/sc.htm ] . It also means that it’s in your best interest to reduce your exposure to antibiotics as much as possible. How? * By not taking antibiotics unless they’re absolutely necessary * By getting your food from pure sources, which don’t use antibiotics in their livestock or livestock feed (and therefore won’t have antibiotic-ridden manure for fertilizer either) * By avoiding antibacterial soaps (simple soap and water is all you need) As always, the more pure you are able to keep your lifestyle, the better off you will be.
- Related Articles: Antibiotic-Resistant Disease Killing Humans and Swine Antibiotics Kill Your Body's Good Bacteria, Too, Leading to Serious Health Risks Your Skin Has Natural Antibiotics
__Teeth Health for Overall Health
Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:41 pm 518
Tooth Regeneration -- You May Never Have to Use or Hear a Dentist Drill Again!
- Dr. Mercola's Comments: Your teeth are a powerful predictor of your overall health. When I have seen chronically ill patients with nearly cavity-free teeth, I am encouraged that they will likely get well quickly. If, on the other hand, their mouths are full of fillings and root canals, the prognosis is not nearly as good. . Ironically, though, many people who see a regular dentist to fix a cavity or other tooth problem end up creating even more problems. Most dentists try to fix a damaged tooth by using metal fillings (as has been done for over 150 years!) or root canals, and these processes are like plugging a leak in your kitchen sink with superglue; they’re not likely to hold up over time, and they completely ignore the underlying problems. Plus, they can be downright dangerous. . Tooth Decay is no Trivial Matter Yet, most people regard a cavity, or even a root canal [http://www.mercola.com/article/dental/rootcanal/root_canals.htm], as a minor inconvenience. Yet, if your tooth has begun to decay to the point that a cavity is evident, this is a major sign that disease-causing bacteria has begun to overpower your immune system, and your body. And although conventional dentists are quite adept at filling in such cavities with neat little ceramic or, worse, mercury fillings, this is only a superficial patch. You see, your teeth are actually not solid. They’re filled with microscopic tubules that, in healthy teeth, serve to carry nourishing fluids to the inside. A single front tooth, for instance, has over three miles of tubules inside of it. . In the case of teeth that have had root canals, the fluid disappears and in its place, bacteria colonize and can cause major illnesses in your body. Even antibiotics won’t help in these cases, because the bacteria are protected inside of your dead tooth. And when these bacteria migrate, via your bloodstream, to other areas of your body, they can cause: * Heart and circulatory diseases * Arthritis and rheumatism * Brain and nervous system diseases . “Dental caries reflect systemic illness,” says Dr. George Meinig, D.D.S. “Once a tooth gets infected and the cavity gets into the nerve and blood vessels, bacteria find their way into those tiny tubules of the dentin. Then no matter what we do by way of treatment, we're never going to completely eradicate the bacteria hiding in the miles of tubules.” [MMS is the best treatment I know of - See http://freewebs.com/sc2p/sc.htm - LK] . So the next time you have a toothache, which can become a cavity and which may lead to a root canal, don’t downplay its significance. This is a major clue that your body is not optimally healthy. You’ve heard the saying that your eyes are a “window to your soul”? Well … Your Teeth are a Window to Your Body . Dr. Weston A. Price, who was one of the major nutritional pioneers of all time, completed some of the most incredible research on this topic back in the [early] 1900s, and it is still very much relevant today. What he found, and documented in his classic book Nutrition and Physical Degeneration, is that native tribes who were eating their traditional diet had nearly perfect teeth, and were almost 100 percent free of tooth decay. They were also almost entirely free of chronic diseases of the heart, lungs, kidneys, liver, joints, and skin. And they did not have toothbrushes, floss, toothpaste, or root canals and fillings. But when these tribal populations were introduced to sugar and white flour, guess what happened. Their health, and their perfect teeth, rapidly deteriorated. So while brushing and flossing -- modern dentistry’s mantra for healthy teeth -- is important, it is not even close to the most important factor for healthy teeth. What is most important is your diet. . “Hygiene practices are preventive, and help minimize the destructive effect of our "civilized", refined diet,” Dr. Meinig says. “But the real issue is still diet. The natives Dr. Price tracked down and studied weren't free of cavities, inflamed gums, and degenerative diseases because they had better tooth brushes!” . Eating Your Way to Healthy Teeth and Gums Getting back to the topic of the article, teeth regeneration, this is certainly a step up from using toxic substances like mercury to fill your teeth. But it is still a type of a band-aid. If you want to have healthy teeth, and a similarly healthy body, you must start from the inside out, and that means cleaning up your diet. . When Dr. Price studied the native diets, he noticed some similarities in the foods that were keeping them so healthy. Among them: * The foods were natural, unprocessed, and organic (and contained no sugar except for the occasional bit of honey or maple syrup). * The people ate foods that grew in their native environment. In other words, they ate locally grown, seasonal foods. * Many of the cultures ate unpasteurized dairy products, and all of them ate fermented foods. * The people ate a significant portion of their food raw. * All of the cultures ate animal products, including animal fat and, often, full-fat butter and organ meats. . When Dr. Price analyzed his findings, he found that the native diets contained 10 times the amount of fat-soluble vitamins, and at least four times the amount of calcium, other minerals, and water-soluble vitamins as that of Western diets at that time. Their diets were also rich in enzymes, because they ate fermented and raw foods (enzymes help you to digest cooked foods). The native diets also had at least 10 times more omega-3 fat than modern diets and FAR less omega-6 fats. And as some of you may know, a diet that is lacking in omega-3 fats, and heavy on omega-6 fats from vegetable oils (which are consumed so heavily today) is a recipe for disaster. . So, if you want to eat your way to healthy teeth, taking a lesson from these previous native generations is essential. You should: * Find out your nutritional type, and eat accordingly. This will tell you which foods are ideal for your unique biochemistry. * Eat at least one-third of your food raw. * Avoid processed foods, sugar, refined flour and all artificial flavorings, colorings, and artificial sweeteners. Instead, seek out locally grown foods that are in-season. * Enjoy fermented foods like natto, kefir [http://www.torontoadvisors.com/Kefir/kefir-list.php - http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2004/01/3/fermented-foods.aspx] and cultured veggies. * Make sure you eat enough healthy fats, including those from animal sources like omega-3 fat, and reduce your intake of omega-6 from vegetable oils. . All of the brushing and flossing in the world will not give you the healthy teeth that the above steps will, so if you value your pearly whites, get started eating a healthier diet today.
- Related Articles: Unhealthy Lifestyles Blamed For Bad Teeth in Adults Brush Your Teeth Lightly to Avoid Gum Damage Sports Drinks Dissolve Your Teeth
__Avoid Processed Foods
Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:54 pm 517
"Nutrition Facts" Are Inaccurate - http://mercola.com
- Dr. Mercola's Comments: If you are relying on Nutrition Facts panels to keep you healthy, I have some bad news: they won’t. Roughly one out of every 10 food product labels contains inaccuracies, according to one FDA survey. And these, they said, were excellent results. . What about the FDA checks? Well, the FDA does check nutrition labels, but to what avail? In one FDA report that implied more than 28,000 food labels were checked in a 14-month period, the Center for Science in the Public Interest found that they only checked to see whether or not the Nutrition Facts panel was present, rather than whether or not it was accurate. So, if you really believe the FDA has got this covered, you better recalibrate your brain on this one. . And even when food labels are considered accurate, it must be more than 20 percent off in order for it to violate federal law, and government food labs have a 10 percent margin of error. This means that an item labeled as having 400 calories can legally have up to 480 calories, and the 10 percent margin of error can bring it up to over 500. . What’s Really in Your Packaged Food Products? Meanwhile, food labels, though perceived as fact, do not tell the whole story of what’s in your food. For instance: * “Incidental additives” do not need to be listed on the label. Incidental additives include substances transferred to foods via packaging, and “ingredients of other ingredients” that are present at “insignificant levels.” * Food manufacturers are allowed to round to zero for any ingredient that accounts for less than 0.5 grams per serving. So if you eat three servings of trans-fat-free chips, you could actually be getting up to 1.5 grams of trans fats. * “Clean labels” are rampant. Food manufacturers know that certain ingredients are frowned upon. But instead of taking them out of their products, they may just attempt to hide them on the label using a name you won’t recognize. [How to Find Hidden MSG on Food Labels http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2007/07/12/how-to-find-hidden-msg-on-food-labels.aspx ] * “Natural contaminants” are also allowed and present in your food. This includes things like insect parts, insect eggs, and rodent hairs. * Many other things are also exempt from being labeled, or may be stated in a way that makes it hard to find. This includes genetically modified ingredients, irradiated ingredients, and ingredients from cloned animals. . Of course, this problem is not unique to the United States. One Australian survey found as many as 84 percent of labels incorrectly stated the quantity of at least one component, for instance, and a study in Canada found that up to 15 percent of product labels were inaccurate beyond the 20 percent allowance. So no matter where you live, it seems, food labels cannot be trusted. . Getting Past Food Labels Food labels are intended to help you eat healthier. But even if they were accurate (which is highly questionable anyway), this premise only works if you read them, know what ingredients to look for and which to watch out for, and then make the appropriate choice. This is a particularly challenging problem as 90% of the money that Americans spend on food is for processed food, so this is a serious issue. Additionally, in the United States, 80 percent of Americans say they read food labels. But 44 percent will still choose to buy a food no matter how bad the label looks … so the presence of a food label is really a moot point in these cases. . The issue is really two-fold. One, that you are informed of unhealthy vs. healthy ingredients, and two, that you make healthy choices. For people who are knowingly choosing to eat unhealthy foods, there is almost certainly an unresolved emotional challenge that is causing you to sabotage your health with unhealthy choices. If you fall into this group, I’d suggest you consider consulting with an energy psychology professional who can help you to get to the bottom of your emotional issues [ http://www.eftsupport.com/find_therapist.htm ]. These professionals typically provide very rapid improvement, and many of the sessions provide as much benefit as seeing a conventional psychologist for months or even years. . For those of you who are looking to eat better, and are ready to make healthy choices, here is my number one tip: avoid packaged and processed foods. Instead, fill your stomach with fresh, locally grown produce, organic, grass-fed meats, eggs and other foods that don’t require an ingredients label. Get to know some local food producers (farmers) in your area, or join a food coop that will give you access to one. Then, prepare your food at home, with your own two hands, so that you will know exactly what you are eating, without having to rely on a questionable label.
- Community Comments: DizzyIzzy1 Reminds me of the time some NZ school kids tested the Vitamin C content of Ribena for a science fair, and the manufacturers - GSK, IIRC - ended up taken to court because rather than having 'three times the Vitamin C of oranges', there wasn't any to speak of in the beverage! . Aaltrude I don't know what grade they got, but they did get national coverage on NZ [New Zealand] news, which brought this misleading labelling and advertising to the attention of the whole country. . Alexis I didn't know that labels were allowed to lie like that. That sucks, but then again, I'm a raw eater, so I don't buy packaged food. My local farmers use chemicals, pesticides and human *** on their produce. I am not supporting that either, yuck. . cydwatts I have converted more people to the consumption of Kosher hotdogs, because a non-Kosher hotdog can, by law, be up to 16% whole rat. In 1994, the Nutrition Facts panel as we now know it was added. It has far less useful information than the previous one. It was changed from something that, theoretically, listed useful and comparatively complete information to something that listed a few items of little significance. After all, it's not so much the quantity of calories, it's the quality. Of course, if you're eating packaged foods you're really not getting the quality, anyway. . BJ203 If you click on the link to Australian Survey (underlined in blue above), it refers to an article in the Sydney Morning Herald regarding the inaccuracy of food labeling content in packaged foods on the Australian market. One would assume that the same problems exist in the USA, Europe and elsewhere. There could be a number of reasons for the conflicting results, but sloppy lab. work or downright deception would be high on my list. I echo some of the community comments about the high cost of commercially available "organic" or whole foods. Obviously, the best solution is to grow your own food, but that's not always practicable. Farmers' markets are probably the next best thing. And avoid buying pre-packaged foods at the supermarket wherever possible. . DDS It is nice to know what you are eating and the worst offence on labeling is probably that MSG (or its cousins) is found in almost all processed food, but labeled as something else (see www.truthinlabeling.com). And the correlation between MSG and conditions like is migraine headaches, neurological diseases, obesity, ADHD, bi-polar, anxiety or panic attacks, tinnitus, meiniere’s disease, balance problems, asthma symptoms, mitral valve prolapse, atrial fibrillation, rapid heartbeat, angina, joint pain, TMJ, flu-like symptoms, depression, dizziness, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, gastro esophgeal reflux, colitis, seizures, tremors, loss of memory, optic neuritis, numbness or paralysis, Tingling numbness on face, ears, arms, legs, or feet, and glaucoma is staggering. . eauboy Lotusflower, It takes a lot less time than you think [to learn health]. Example: From reading Dr. Mercola and many of the contributors here it's a clear consensus (due to others who HAVE done the research) that eating natural whole foods, like lots of veggies and fruits, lean grass fed meats, eggs from free-range properly fed chickens, and staying away from processed "food" in boxes, packages etc, is the basis for good health. See? It only took you a few seconds to read that. - The fact that so many households have allowed themselves to become so time pressured in the first place is part of the problem. An incredible amount of processed foods have been created to cater to the idea that time pressured people can get convenient quick meals. We've allowed ourselves to become too preoccupied with our busy lives to pay attention to what's really important...our physical, mental, social and yes even political (we're much too busy to pay attention to the liberties being stolen from us) health. - As for your juice comment, when juice is made, much of the nutrients are oxidized within the first few minutes that the fruits are opened. Regardless of whether or not those were organic fruits, by the time you open the container most of the nutrients listed have disappeared. Better to make your own. - Take some time to smell the Lotusflowers and get healthy. You and your family will benefit tremendously. . ThomasT Good Morning America is 60 years out of date stating sat fats are the bad fats. Science is moving fast. Label readers should be concentrating on ZERO sugar, as all sugar is contaminated with asbestos, resulting in the inactivity of white protector blood cells. We have to learn a whole new list of foods, more than ingredients, that MUST be avoided for they contain plant chemicals that degrade the hypothalumus, chlorogenic acid; that degrade the pituatary, phloridzin; and foods that conatin gallic acid, degrading the pancreas. Bits of these three organs fuse to form the cancer nucleus. The Cure and Prevention of All Cancers, 2007, HR Clark PhD ND should make all of us massively revise what is and what is NOT good for us.
Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:35 pm 516
- Dr. Mercola's Comments: [from a recent issue at http://mercola.com ] If America were going to be characterized by any one material, it would have to be plastic. It’s in our food packaging, our clothing, our cars, our toys, our waterways, our streets, and, yes, it’s even in you. By way of the food chain, and also drinking water and using plastic items in your everyday life, you are ingesting plastics every day, in the form of the following chemicals: * Cancer-causing PFOAs [in teflon] * PBDEs [from flame retardants sprayed in airplanes etc], which cause reproductive problems * Phthalates [used in fragrances, soft toys, medical tubing etc], another group of reproductive toxins * BPA [A recent EWG investigation - http://www.ewg.org/reports/bisphenola/execsumm.php - found the toxic plastics compound Bisphenol A in more than half of our samples of canned fruit, vegetables, soda, and - with the highest levels of all - in canned baby formula.] [The side effects of BpA exposure include obesity, diabetes, early-onset puberty, cancer, and hyperactivity. http://blueberrybaby.wordpress.com/2007/12/09/bisphenol-a-baby-bottle-blues ] The worst of the plastics appear to be those that are marked with the recycling label No. 7, as these varieties may contain BPA. . And this is not even taking into account the environmental impacts of plastics, which kill more than 1 million seabirds, 100,000 marine mammals, and even more fish in the North Pacific alone, every year. There is even a plastic “stew,” twice the size of Texas, that has formed in the Pacific Ocean. Scientists have dubbed the mass of floating plastic trash the “Eastern Garbage Patch,” and its volume is growing at an alarming pace. Even more shocking: when researchers tested the water of the Pacific Ocean, they found it contained six times as much plastic as plankton, by weight! . What is the result of mankind breathing, eating, drinking and absorbing all of this plastic? Obesity, declining fertility rates and other reproductive problems, cancer and more. . Reducing Your Use of Plastics No matter what recycling symbol is on the bottom of your plastic water bottle or plate, I can confidently say that you’re better off using an inert, reusable material like glass or ceramic instead. This is because all plastic, particularly if you use it with hot beverages or foods, or if it’s scratched or worn out, can leach chemicals into your foods and drinks. . Well, it may seem like plastics are an indispensable part of your life, but I think we all have room, for our own health and the health of our planet, to reduce our use, and here’s how: - 1. Boycott plastic shopping bags. Use reusable canvas or cloth varieties instead. (This also applies to the plastic produce bags in the grocery store.) - 2. Don’t buy bottled water. Filter your own using a reverse-osmosis filter, and put it in a glass bottle. If you’re concerned about it breaking, some companies now offer silicone sleeves that go on the outside to protect the bottle. - 3. Avoid using plastic cups, utensils, dishware and food storage containers. This includes Nalgene bottles, which many mistakenly believe are safe. - 4. Buy toys made of natural fabrics instead of plastic. - 5. Look for products that use minimal packaging, or buy in bulk. - 6. Give up plastic wrap (and never use it to cover your food while it’s heating). - 7. Stop buying canned foods and drinks (the can linings contain plastic chemicals). - 8. Parents, use cloth diapers instead of plastic ones. - 9. Look for non-plastic home items, like cloth shower curtains and wooden spoons instead of plastic ones.
__Shocking Facts About the Pharmaceutical Industry
Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:11 pm 515
- Dr. Mercola commented as follows. . Physicians must also, en masse, come to the realization that what they are doing is going nowhere. This may be one of the most difficult areas to change, as the pharmaceutical industry has devised a highly effective system of indoctrination and very specific psychological techniques to bamboozle physicians. Doctors usually believe they are immune to persuasion tactics, and drug reps know just how important it is to maintain that illusion – which is why it works so well. . Consider for a moment the in-depth report published in both The New England Journal of Medicine and PLoS Medicine, which admitted that pharmaceutical sales reps are trained in tactics that are on par with some of the most potent brainwashing techniques used throughout the world! The idea that reps provide some kind of valuable, informative service to physicians is total fiction, created and perpetuated by the drug industry, to keep this deadly, but profitable, scheme going. . Poison For Profit Another shocking fact that few consider is that virtually every major pharmaceutical company has a corresponding branch that creates the toxins and poisons that contribute to the chronic diseases their drugs and medical devices treat. So these huge transnational companies profit not only from the sale of products such as pesticides, herbicides and GM crops, but also from the symptoms and chronic illnesses that they can trigger. The vast majority of chemicals found in pesticides and other products undergo little or no testing for chronic, low level exposures and for chronic health effects, effectively creating a circle of destruction and double profits. . Below is a list of such chem/pharm companies: Chemical Division Pharmaceutical Division Aventis (herbicides, fungicides, pesticides, GM food) Aventis Pharma Monsanto (herbicides, fungicides, pesticides, GM food) Pharmacia BASF (herbicides, fungicides, pesticides) BASF Pharmaceuticals Merck Research Company (precursors for pesticides and neurotoxins) Merck Dow Chemical (industrial chemicals and pharmaceuticals) Dow Pharmaceuticals . Make no mistake about it. The drug companies are incredibly powerful, and overcoming their influence over your life will take a mammoth effort. But there are concrete steps you can take to combat the drug companies' self-interest, save yourself loads of money, and improve your health so you can avoid unnecessary drugs in the first place. . Ten Steps to Reduce Your Pharmaceutical Expenses Now Take charge of your own health now instead of handing it over to the drug companies. How do you do that? You can start by using the Internet to locate non-drug alternatives to your health challenges. Many start with my site as it has more than 150,000 pages to help you understand more about how you can improve your health without drugs or surgery, through simple lifestyle modifications. . These are the basic tenets of optimal health that have always remained permanent truths, regardless of what marvels modern science comes up with next: 1. Eat a healthy diet that’s right for your nutritional type (paying very careful attention to keeping your insulin levels down) 2. Drink plenty of clean water 3. Manage your stress 4. Exercise 5. Get plenty of appropriate sun exposure 6. Limit toxin exposure 7. Consume healthy fat 8. Eat plenty of raw food 9. Optimize insulin and leptin levels 10. Get plenty of sleep . If you want to further understand how corporations and government manipulate science and the media by preying upon the public trust -- and how to protect yourself -- I highly recommend the book "Trust Us, We're Experts." One of the primary purposes of Mercola.com is to provide you with the insight to protect and defend yourself from these major corporate interests (as well as the government they've purchased). I’ve committed myself to providing you with practical and straightforward advice and suggestions on how to optimize your body to prevent disease, reach your optimal weight, and live longer.
- Related Articles: Drug Company Accountability Psychological Warfare Techniques -- Used on Your Doctor Sound the Alarm -- Stop the Dangerous, Drug-Promoting "Mothers Act"
__Raw Honey & Cinnamon
Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:12 pm 512
3 keys to Health : Exercise; Raw, Unprocessed, Whole Foods; and Sunshine - Honey and Cinnamon Remedies - Dr Richard Patrick Cracknell www.chiropractic-phuket.com - The combination of honey and cinnamon has been used in oriental medicine for centuries. Cinnamon is one of the oldest spices known to mankind and honey’s popularity has continued throughout history. The two ingredients with unique healing abilities have a long history as a home remedy. Cinnamons essential oils and honey's enzyme that produces hydrogen peroxide qualify the two anti-microbial foods with the ability to help stop the growth of bacteria as well as fungi. ... People have claimed that the mixture is a cure for many diseases and a formula for many health benefits: - 1) HEART DISEASES: Apply honey and cinnamon powder on whole wheat bread instead of using jam or butter and eat it regularly for breakfast. - 2) ARTHRITIS: Apply a paste made of the two ingredients on the affected parts of the body and massage slowly. - 3) HAIR LOSS: Apply a paste of hot olive oil, honey, cinnamon powder before bath. - 4) BLADDER INFECTIONS: Mix cinnamon powder and honey in a glass of lukewarm water and drink. - 5) TOOTHACHE: Apply a paste of cinnamon powder and honey and on the aching tooth. - 6) CHOLESTEROL: Mix cinnamon powder and honey in boiled water or green tea (or jiaogulan tea) and drink. - 7) COLDS: Make a glass of lukewarm honey water mixed with cinnamon powder. - 8) INDIGESTION: Cinnamon powder sprinkled on a spoonful of honey taken before food relieves acidity. - 9) LONGEVITY: Regularly take tea made with honey and a little cinnamon powder. - 10) PIMPLES: Mix honey with cinnamon powder and apply paste on the pimples before sleeping and wash away the next morning. - 11) OBESITY: To reduce weight, daily drink a mixture of honey with cinnamon powder boiled in water with an empty stomach in the morning before breakfast. - 12) BAD BREATH: Gargle with honey and cinnamon powder mixed in hot water so that breath stays fresh throughout the day. Honey plus cinnamon together besides being a amazing potential cure for so many illnesses, their total fragrant, sweet and warm taste is also a perfect match for the palate. Always use organic cinnamon and organic, unpasturized (not heat treated) honey