Lead

Mar 1 12 2:54 PM

Tags : :

__Fruit Skins Help Prevent Cancer
Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:03 pm
http://v.mercola.com/blogs/public_blog/The-Healthiest-Part-of-An-Apple-May-be-The-Skin-17339.aspx . -- What is the Healthiest Part of an Apple? May 23, 2007 . -- ... The peel contains about 75 percent of the dietary fiber in an apple. But a recent study has shown that the peel also contains most of the beneficial phytochemicals responsible for apples' anticarcinogenic effects. -- Apple consumption has previously been linked to a reduced risk of lung cancer, heart disease, and stroke. Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry, Vol. 55, No. 11, May 30, 2007: 4366-4370 .
- Dr. Mercola's Comment: Changing your diet to include higher levels of raw foods, in combination with proper exercise, can clearly and significantly reduce your chances of developing cancer. -- Some other high-ranking antioxidant food sources include: * ... cranberries, blueberries and blackberries * ... beans and artichokes * ... pecans, walnuts and hazelnuts * ... ground cloves, ground cinnamon and oregano . -- [Apples sprayed with pesticides should be brushed well with soap and water.]
Related Articles: Eating an Apple a Day Keeps Asthma Away From Your Baby -- More Proof That Whole Foods Are Better Than Supplements -- Newest Natural Cancer-Fighting Food: Apples
- Comments: -- BY Russ Bianchi - May 23, 2007 - Try local farmer's markets. -- BY richyUT - June 12, 2007 - Apple seeds are noted to contain vitamin B-17, which ... has had many years of quiet publicity on anti-carcinogenic effects. Another great attribute is the apple's relatively low glycemic index (around 35), especially green apples. we get a little frightened about all the chemicals. fear itself has acidic, cancerous effects on our cells (See Bruce Liption, also infer from Candace Pert's psychoneuroimmunology and David Hawkins' "Power Vs Force" table of conciousness) (See Masaru Emoto's work).
__Alternatives to Deadly Diabetes Drugs
Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:43 pm
http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/vitalvotes/archive/2007/05/22/Another-Diabetic-Drug-Disaster.aspx -- May 22, 2007 - The widely used diabetes drug Avandia has been linked to a greater risk of heart attack and possibly death. The U.S. government has issued a safety alert ... -- Now, it is bad enough that people are choosing drugs as solutions for their health challenges, but it borders on reprehensible irresponsibility when they do it for a disease that is virtually 100 percent curable with SIMPLE lifestyle changes. -- Yes, you read correctly. Eliminating type 2 diabetes, the type that affects over 95 percent of diabetics, is not rocket science. BY using exercise as a drug, eating right for your nutritional type and eliminating sugars and processed foods it is the rare person who cannot annihilate diabetes. -- So I find it particularly appalling when physicians foolishly advise people to take these absolutely unnecessary drugs. They are abrogating their responsibility as teachers, coaches and mentors to their patients.
- Related Articles: -- How Does the Latest Glaxo Drug Scandal Affect Your Health? -- Diabetic Drugs Can Cause Heart Failure -- FDA Approves New Diabetes Drug
- Comments: -- BY mmc88121 - May 22, 2007 - type 2 diabetes can be prevented so easily if people would just read labels and avoid foods with High Fructose Corn Syrup. - Mary -- BY docpoehlmann - June 09, 2007 - But it is very difficult to find something without glucose-fructose sirup. It is in Fish preserves, sausages, salmon, bacon, medical drugs (often together with aspartames), jams and chocolates to mention just a few. -- BY PPARGammaGirl - June 09, 2007 - as an ex writer for an international medical publishing house, I would not trust any drug that hadn’t been around for at least 30 years – but even then you may not be safe; sulphonylureas for diabetes like gliclacazide, glyburide (and probably any other anti-diabetic drug ending in –ide) have been around for at least 40 years but have been found to increase the death rate for MI (heart attack) in type 2 diabetes to the tune of around 80,000 per year in the US alone(1)! In fact, I think there is a big watershed – they have only known about the CYP450 enzyme pathway since the mid 1990’s and it is only now being recognised as a major factor in drug-drug and drug-food interactions... disclaimer ... find a qualified practitioner. 1. Bell, D.S., Do sulfonylurea drugs increase the risk of cardiac events? Cmaj, 2006. 174(2): p. 185-6. -- BY SteviaGal - June 09, 2007 - Punishment for drug companies? - There are laws on the books to protect big pharma from responsibility for any problems their drugs create. Especially any vaccines they create to address such things as the bird flu, common flu, or the one they're puching so hard for little girls that might address cervical cancer ...they don't have to answer up at all for the damage their "panacea" does down the road. -- BY Dr Christopher Gussa - May 22, 2007 - I have seen one of the very old Chinese Herbal Patent Formulas, (In little black pills), Liu Wei Di Huang Wan, reverse many forms of Diabetes! My Dad was on “Glucatrol” ... for years and we weaned him off with Liu Wer Di Huang Wan. He now takes nothing and is fine. As a note, I have seen doctors in our community use the excuse of “Diabetes” for many “hypochondriac” type patients or just misinformed people trying to look out for themselves. The Docs turn them into diabetics! How much longer are we all going to put up with this type of thing before we go ballistic on the medical drug cartel? Is anybody with me on this? I think we just need to all walk out on all MDs altogether, you know like a Union Strike! -- BY Reesacat - May 22, 2007 - There is a very famous strike by doctors in the 1970's? that when they were on strike the death rate dropped, and rose again when they were back on duty. -- BY C Ed Wright - June 13, 2007 - Reesacat, the same happened during WARTIME (in Europe): When hospitals closed, the OVERALL death rate dropped dramatically! -- NO elective surgery (plus inadvertent hospital-infections), only life-saving trauma surgery for civilian "collateral damage" who made it to hospitals alive, if they were even open. Most were simply closed altogether. -- BY Patri - May 23, 2007 - I think that conventional, allopathic medicine has hardly a clue about the healing process. The foundation of allopathy is symptomatic treatment/supression. One of the major reasons why other alternatives work is that most of them address the reason for the problem first.
__Kefir Apple Juice
Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:46 am 431
See the video: http://www.mydeo.com/videorequest.asp?XID=33691&CID=104315 -- A friend sent this video link [Thanks]. Get kefir or kefir grains from health food store, add to juice etc, let set 4 hours or more at room temp., then use or refrigerate. Tasty and good for digestive enzymes, friendly bacteria etc. LK
__Improve Your Own Stem Cells?
Thu Jun 7, 2007 12:24 pm 430
A reader at Mercola.com said: There are several new products on the market that are scientifically proven to help your body produce more of its OWN stem cells. See http://www.TheHealthyGlow.com or http://www.stemtechbiz.com
__Don't Buy Organic from Chain Stores
Tue May 29, 2007 1:03 pm
Organic Foods Continue to Grow -- <Another recent article from http://www.mercola.com - Also note last paragraph. LK> . -- Sales of organic foods are increasing across the U.S. at breakneck speed but that may not necessarily be a good thing.
- Dr. Mercola's Comment: One of the unanticipated side effects of promoting natural healthy lifestyles is that it would not escape the attention of conventional retailers who have rapidly learned to exploit this movement and substitute inferior-quality brands while charging premium prices. -- The meaning of the "organic" label has declined sharply over the past few years, so much so that it's hard to trust grocery stores these days. The take-home message here: Seek out more affordable and healthier foods and vegetables grown by local farmers near you. -- The entrance of major grocery chain stores like Safeway into the organic market means that choosing the best organic foods for your health may be getting tougher and more expensive. -- Although organic food sales account for only 3 percent of the total amount of food sold in America, the increase in demand has been so rapid that farmers have been unable to keep up, forcing grocers to look internationally for them. This often results in a decline in quality and standards. -- Multi-national corporations are interested in the profits from organic food, not the health value. For example, Wal-Mart's "organic" milk comes from large factory farms (not to mention the fact that it's pasteurized). -- Meanwhile, the O organics label has been judged so successful that the line is expanding into food offerings for babies and toddlers, not a good move at all for the health of your young child. -- I am working with some expert consultants from NASA and Walt Disney World that will hopefully allow me to introduce an easy system that will allow you to grow organic vegetables easily and conveniently in your home. I hope to have that available in the next year; then you won't need to rely on non-local sources for a good portion of your food.
Related Articles: Major Confusion Between Organic and Healthy -- More Deception by Wal-Mart With Organic Foods -- Local is the ''New'' Organic
__Carbs Lead to Aging & Disease, Dr. Rosedale
Wed May 29, 2002 2:19 pm
Carbohydrates Cause Aging and Major Diseases - http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2001/07/14/insulin-part-one.aspx -- High blood pressure, heart attacks, strokes, heart disease, cancer, diabetes, etc., are due mainly to excessive carbohydrates in the diet and deficiency of pure water. Carbohydrates include mainly foods made from flour, grains, potatoes and sugar. Carbs raise insulin levels in the blood and soon cause cells to become insulin resistant. Insulin resistance causes the above diseases as well as hormone imbalances, immune system problems, etc. Insulin Resistance is reversible by avoiding most carbohydrates, esp. flour and processed items and by having: 1] more vegetables and salads with apple cider vinegar, olive oil, for anti-oxidants and other nutrients, and stevia [a natural sweet protein]; 2] Cod liver oil from Carlson, 1 Tablespoon per day, for Omega-3 fatty acids; 3] Vitamin E, 400 mg per day; 4] Chromium, 500 mcg per day; 5] Vanadyl Sulphate [temporarily], 25 mg per meal; 6] Glutamine in water or beverage, a few grams per cup, to reduce cravings; 7] Muscle exercises, more than aerobic exercise. Insulin and Its Metabolic Effects - By Ron Rosedale, M.D. -- Centenarian studies .. [show that what long-lived people have in common are low blood sugar, low triglycerides and low insulin]. Insulin resistance is the basis of all of the chronic diseases of aging, because the disease itself is actually aging. We know now that aging is a disease. The other case studies that I mentioned, cardiovascular disease, osteoporosis, obesity, diabetes, cancer, all the so-called chronic diseases of aging, auto-immune diseases, those are symptoms. -- [Insulin] stores protein. A lesser known fact is that insulin also stores magnesium. We mentioned its role in [storing] vitamin C; it stores all sorts of nutrients. But what happens if your cells become resistant to insulin? First of all you can't store magnesium so you lose it ... out the urine. What is one of magnesium's major roles? Intracellular magnesium relaxes muscles [such as in blood vessels]. What happens when you can't store magnesium because the cell is resistant? You lose magnesium and your blood vessels constrict [their muscles tighten]. What does that do? Increases blood pressure, and reduces energy, since intracellular magnesium is required for all energy producing reactions that take place in the cell. But most importantly, magnesium is also necessary for [making and using] ... insulin. Insulin also causes the retention of sodium, which causes the retention of fluid, which causes high blood pressure and ... congestive heart failure. If [the] mother, while [pregnant], was eating a high carbohydrate diet, ... the fetus ... becomes more insulin resistant. -- There was a study done a couple of years ago, ... that showed that heart attacks are two to three times more likely to happen after a high carbohydrate meal. They said specifically NOT after a high fat meal. Why is that? Because the immediate effects of raising your blood sugar from a high carbohydrate meal is to raise insulin and that immediately triggers ... arterial spasm, constriction of the arteries... Dr. Cruz ... in the early 70's ... found out that ... just contact of insulin in the artery caused it to fill up with plaque... Hyperinsulinemia [too much insulin in the blood] causes the excretion of ... calcium ... [a] cause of osteoporosis... Insulin controls growth hormone [and] the manufacture of cholesterol, ... where ... all the sex hormones come from [so insulin resistance reduces these hormones, which stunt growth and fertility]... The more insulin resistant you are, the lower your DHEA levels. -- Cells become insulin resistant because they are trying to protect themselves from the toxic effects of high insulin. The liver becomes resistant first, then the muscle tissue, then the fat [tissues]... High carbohydrate diet ... causes insulin resistance... If you have a carbohydrate that is not a fiber it is going to be turned into a sugar, whether it be glucose, ... fructose, ... or galactose ... All of those sugars are as bad or worse for you than glucose... So every time you have a surge of sugar and you have a surge of insulin, you get more and more insulin resistant and all of the problems we've talked about. Glucose [is] ... very sticky, ... specifically to proteins. If it sticks around a while it produces ... advanced glycated end products, ... [or] A.G.E.'s. When ... proteins get glycated [and] can't turn over very rapidly, like collagen, or ... nerve tissue, the A.G.E.'s accumulate and [do] damage. When a macrophage [a good janitor cell] combines with an A.G.E. product, ... it sets up an inflammatory reaction. We know that cardiovascular [disease] is an inflammatory process, ... the roots [of] arthritis, headaches. DNA repair enzymes glycate [get stuck to gliucose. This means a high carbohydrate diet hampers DNA repair, which accelerates aging] ... So what are the building blocks that are needed? - proteins and fatty acids. Not much in the way of carbohydrates. You can get all the carbohydrates you need from proteins and fats. There are two kinds of fuel that your body can use with minor exceptions, sugar [carbohydrate] and fat. The body is going to store excess energy as fat, ... because that is the body's desired fuel. Sugar is meant to be your body's turbo charger, [an emergency reserve fuel]. Your brain will burn sugar, [but it does] even better by burning by-products of fat metabolism called ketones. That is what it has to burn when you fast for any length of time [I fasted for 8 weeks in 1981 and in the last week or 2 my thinking seemed to get much clearer, possibly because my brain was burning mostly ketones instead of sugar]. But your primary energy source ... should be almost all fat. But what happens if you eat sugar? Your body's main way of getting rid of it, because it is toxic, is to burn it. That which your body can't burn your body will get rid of by storing it as glycogen and when that [space] gets filled up your body stores it as fat. If you eat sugar your body will burn it and you stop burning fat [because it needs to get rid of the sugar]. Insulin sensitivity [and level of health] can be restored to ... the state of about a ten year old. You can increase [insulin] sensitivity by diet; that is one of the major reasons you want to take Omega 3 oils. We think of circulation as that which flows through arteries and veins, ... [but] the major part of circulation is what goes in and out of the cell. -- It doesn't make any difference what gets to that cell if it can't get into the cell. We know that one of the major ways that you can affect cellular circulation is by modulating the kinds of fatty acids that you eat. So you can increase receptor sensitivity by increasing the fluidity of the cell membrane, which means increasing the omega 3 content. The cell membranes are going to be a reflection of your dietary fat and that will determine the fluidity of your cell membrane. You can actually make them over[ly] fluid. If you eat ... and ... incorporate too many omega 3 oils then they will become highly oxidizable (so you have to eat Vitamin E as well and monounsaturates [like olive oil]). -- It has actually been shown by quite a number of papers that resistance training for insulin resistance is better than aerobic training. Resistance training is ... muscular exercises. If you just do a bicep curl, you immediately increase the insulin sensitivity of your bicep. So you want to increase the ability of the cells in the body to burn fat. You want to make that glucose burner into a fat burner. If you have a blood sugar of 125 you are worse than if you had a blood sugar of 124. Same with insulin. If you have a fasting insulin of 10 you are worse off than if you had an insulin of 9. You want to get it just as low as you can. Vanadyl Sulfate is an insulin mimic, so that it can basically do what insulin does by a different mechanism. On someone who I am trying to really get their insulin down I go 25mg 3X/day temporarily. All my diabetics go on 1,000 mcg. of chromium, ... usually 500 mcg [per day] for a non-diabetic. It depends on their insulin levels. I put people on glutamine powder. Glutamine can act really as a brain fuel, so it helps eliminate carbohydrate cravings while they are in that transition period. I tell [patients] to use it whenever they feel they are craving carbohydrates ... between meals. -- Anywhere [from] perhaps one to two grams of protein per kilogram [2.2 lbs] of lean body mass [is needed per day], maybe even a little bit higher if someone is really active. You don't want to go under that for very long. A high protein diet ... will increase an acid load in the body, but ... a high fat diet [usually won't]. Vegetables and greens are alkalinizing [for the blood, which is good], so if you are eating a lot of vegetables along with your protein it equalizes the acidifying effect of the protein. I don't recommend a high protein diet, [but] an adequate protein diet. I think you should be using fat as your primary energy source, and fat is kind of neutral when it comes to acidifying or alkalinizing. In general, over 50% of the calories should come from fat, but not from saturated fat. Zone was a good diet compared to the American [diet]. Is it optimal for what is known today about nutrition? It is not. He is ... changing his recipes so that the 40% carbohydrates are coming primarily from vegetables, and the carbohydrates are going way down because he knows that if he doesn't it's not as good a diet. I would go 20% of calories from carbs. Depending on the size of the person, 25 to 30% of calories from protein, and 60-65% from fat. -- Your cell membranes require a balance of saturated and poly-unsaturated fat, and it is that balance that determines the fluidity. As I mentioned, your cells can become over-fluid if they don't have any saturated fat. Saturated fat is a hard fat. Nuts are a great food because it is mostly mono-unsaturated. Your primary energy source ideally would come mostly from mono-unsaturated fat. It's a good compromise. It is not an essential fat, but it is a more fluid fat [and fluidity reduces insulin resistance]. Your body can utilize it very well as an energy source. Animal proteins are fine and are good for you, but not the ones that are fed grains. Grain-fed animals are going to make saturated fat out of the grains. In the wild there is very little saturated fat out there. -- There is a great deal of difference between a non-grain fed cow and a grain fed cow. Non-grain fed will have only 10% or less saturated fat. Grain fed can have over 50%. There is a big difference. A non-grain fed cow will actually be high in Omega 3 oils. Plants have a pretty high percentage of Omega 3, and if you accumulate it by eating it all day, every day for most of your life, your fat gets a pretty high proportion of Omega 3. I would try for 50% oleic fat, and the others would depend on the individual, but about 25% of the other two. In a fat diabetic I would probably go down on the saturated fat and go 60% oleic. I would go 1 to 1 on the omega 6 to 3 ... The maintenance ratio would be about 2.5 to 1 omega 6 to 3. Arachadonic acid, DHA, to EFA. A tablespoon [a day] of cod liver oil, the best brand is made by Carlson which doesn't taste fishy at all. -- Most people end up going on a supplement of Omega 3 oils because most of them are not going to eat enough fish to get it, which would be about four days a week, and it can't be overcooked etc. Sardines are a very good therapeutic food. They are baby fish so they haven't had time to accumulate a bunch of metal [like mercury]. They are smoked so they are not cooked and the oil is not spoiled in them. You have to eat the whole thing. Not the boneless and skinless. You need to eat all the organs and they are high in vitamins and magnesium. Insulin is not the only cause of disease. There are other considerations such as iron. We know that high iron levels are bad for you. If a person's ferritin is high, red meat is out for a while, till we get their iron down. Insulin should be tested on everybody repeatedly... Any family doctor can measure ... fasting insulin.
__How Schools, MDs, Social Workers Harm Kids
Tue May 29, 2007 12:46 pm
http://www.mercola.com/2007/may/22 <The article includes a long video & viewers' comments - LK> Powerful Video Showing How Drugs Harm Children -- May 07, 2007 . -- If you're still skeptical about the toxic effects drugs have on young adults, I urge you to invest some time to watch The Drugging of Our Children, a documentary by Gary Null. -- This film tackles the increasingly common practice of prescribing psychotropic drugs to kids who have been diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), despite the lack of any objective medical tests to verify such a diagnosis. -- Instead, physicians rely heavily on standardized assessments and anecdotal reports from parents and teachers, often leaving little room for other explanations like a child's environment or diet.
- Dr. Mercola's Comment: Not long ago, I posited that psychotropic drugs may have played a role in the tragic Virginia Tech massacre. This video makes it clear that psychotic episodes are only one of the many potential dangers of these drugs. -- Health professionals prescribe them without warning parents about the severe (psychotic symptoms, headaches, insomnia) and potentially fatal side effects (cardiac arrhythmia). -- To make matters worse, some school systems around the United States work with government agencies to force parents to administer these drugs, going so far as threatening to remove their children from their homes unless they cooperate. -- This is yet more evidence that in the toxic world of conventional medicine, pharmaceutical drugs rule the day as the automatic answer to problems like ADHD, despite the existence of safer, simpler solutions. -- I would also strongly encourage you to view my interview with Dr. Lendon Smith that took place six years ago, shortly before he died. He was a pioneer in naturally addressing ADHD in children. -- http://www.mercola.com/2001/jan/7/lendon_smith.htm .
Related Articles: The Frightening Rise of ADHD Drugs Among Children and Their Parents -- Psychiatric Drug Use In Toddlers Soars -- More Kids Ages 2 to 4 On Ritalin, Antidepressants -- Antidepressant Makers Withhold Data on Children .
- READER COMMENTS: -- BY Stephanie Seifert ... Homeschooling was the only consideration for me. Having two very active boys i can't imagine what the public school system would do to them. One of my boys, although only four right now, is extremely active. Boys are getting a bad rap, they need to play and should be able to. Most boys aren't ready for formal education until 7 or 8 years old!! No wonder we have 5 year old boys who are angry and discouraged and paying the price at the hands of ignorant adults... -- BY nanciesweb This video is heart-wrenching. A woman loses her child because she refuses to medicate him. Add this to the millions of reasons why I homeschool my kids. -- BY Katybr55 Scary, eh? To think this poor young man's life is completely ruined by a doctor's carelessness and the rapaciouness of the FDA. Did you know in the public schools they can force you to give your children mind-altering drugs? It's true, My step-daughter was court-ordered to give her already at risk adopted FDAS child some psychotropic because someone said he'd said he wanted to die (he was 10). The teacher then demanded his diagnosis from the doctor and called the authorities. My SD refused to give the information, btw the problem never existed at the school, supposedly he'd said that at home, so the teacher retaliated by calling the Michigan Foster home oversight. -- BY cheftodd these people have too much power. -- BY PPARGammaGirl .Paul Campos devoted a whole chapter to the story in “The Diet Myth” – I was horrified by it. By the time Anamarie Regino was 16 months old her mother had taken her to 57 Pediatrician appointments to find out why her weight had increased so rapidly but the cause remained a mystery (the good docs just didn’t know). She had been hospitalised three times for batteries of tests. On the third occasion (when she was three years old) her mother was taken aside by doctors and social workers and was patronisingly told “she was endangering” her child. Social workers filed a report with the Child Youth and Families Dept stating that Anamarie “would surely die” if left in the custody of her parents and even accused the mother of Munchausen’s syndrome by proxy! Anamarie was taken into state custody. Campos writes:“Troy Pritchard [who took the case for free] asks the obvious question: If her parents had been white, upper class professionals, would they have been charged with child abuse simply because their daughter was unusually large? Troy Pritchard has little doubt about what led the state to take such drastic action. “There were so many veiled comments which added up to ‘You know those Mexican people, all they eat is fried junk, of course they’re slipping her food.’ That’s what they wanted to see.” ...You can read his intro here: http://www.obesitymyth.com/excerpt.html . -- BY Reesacat Amanda Rose, I could only get through about 20 minutes. It was heartbreaking... -- BY Healing Waters A dear friend of ours son and daughter-in-law almost lost their children because the school wanted to put the children on Ritalin. They had to take them out of public school and home school them. Dr Mercola, is there anyway you could work with Gary Null and make this video available to purchase on your website? . -- BY squeegee .When I experienced academic challenges in college I went to the psychiatrist and got an ADHD diagnosis. I tried various drugs for about a year. The meds did help sometimes. Like Mercola says, 'band-aids' are sometimes worthwhile when you need a short-term temporary fix, but you can't use them forever.When I discovered the work of Weston Price I dropped the meds and began to adopt a traditional diet.now, a few years later, I am fairly certain that the challenge I experienced was due to psychological/emotional causes coupled with a deficient diet and lack of exercise. -- BY KathieJamisonCote .Childrens [bodily] systems are so barraged these days with pesticides, additives, preservatives, poisons ... - and yet we wonder why there are these conditions.Do they really not see THE FACTS? When foods are changed to simple, non processed, non-refined, non irrirated, FRESH ORGANIC, mostly fruits and vegetables and maybe some raw milk ... that what follows are cures or advances so profound in the child's condition and quality of life that to not share this info with parents.should be a crime of the first degree.How can these doctor's turn their heads to ways that obviously make great strides in the life of the child and their families? Do they not take an oath of wellness anymore or is it an Oath of Money? . -- BY kinesiologykid .This is from a kinesiology Practitioner, mainly balancing hydration and the tmj (jaw) muscles.ADHD TRIAL. Concerned with the current trend of ADHD I decided to trial four case studies of teenage children medically diagnosed with ADHD. I offered these children, three boys and one girl between the ages of 11 to 16, four sessions consecutively over one month using solely (specific kinesiology). In all cases these children showed remarkable improvements after the first session. One boy improved his spelling scores from 3 out of 20 to 17 out of 20. The behavior in all children improved dramatically after the second session with glowing reports from school and home. The parents were extremely relieved to see there was no longer anything wrong with their children and their lives returning to normality. Also two parents were glad to take their boys off medication. It is now 18 months since the trials and all children show continued improvement at school. Sherril Jepson, Aug. 1998. -- BY traceyannemiller .We have created a mental health epidemic in our country and worldwide with these psychiatric drugs. We are killing off our population with these drugs. I was drugged with these after a car accident, being addicted to Centrax and pain killers first and then a 21 year hell being misdiagnosed clinically depressed and bipolar. These drugs are dangerous not only to children but to adults as well. Listen to my radio interview here http://www.anniearmenlive.org/Tracey_Annie_Miller.htm -- And listen to my story. I am so blessed to be alive. I almost lost my life many times, being suicidal on these drugs. I have not entertained suicide since then. I no longer go into the rages that the drugs caused me to go into. I am now 2 1/2 years off the drugs (still suffering from lingering physical withdrawal symptoms) but mentally doing better than ever. What happened to me was a crime and there is nothing that I can do about this except to talk to people about the dangers of drugs and then to move on loving my life as I do now. Life is good but we have to stop what is going on with our children and adults with these drugs.God Bless, Tracey Anne Miller . -- BY Dr. Mercola ... I spoke with Gary Null personally to confirm this from him and he told me that [he] NEVER allow[ed] any group to influence anything he produced. He is 100% responsible for funding, writing, directing and producing this video [Scientology had no involvement]. -- BY birdy This type of harassment & pressure from the school happened to me during the nineties when my son was in 3d & 4th grade. I saw no true ADHD at home, just a smart creative boy who was an only child & got very excited about interacting with others his age. He was smart yet bored silly in school and he was failing because he hated home work and he wanted to socialize ... with other kids all the time. Luckily I had a close friend who was a great teacher, I asked him to spend the day with my son & give me feed back. He told me my son needed a firm reign, clear directions and most importantly he needed to be challenged. This reinforced my feelings that a drug was not what he needed. When I read that these drugs stop the growth process I was certain that I would never allow my son to take it. I had to threaten the School & Social workers with legal action to get them to stop pressuring me. The next year we changed schools, my son did better but he never enjoyed school again because of the bad experience. Today he is fine. -- BY Josh Rubin This is a great video. All I can say is thank you for the great information, but also wow! It is incredible how ignorant these Rx companies are, as well as the MD's that write the Rx for those meds. As well, it amazes me how subjective this disease is and that there is no labs to prove this disease. That kind of scares me! What a great video and I like how they follow it up at the end with holistic recommendations. -- BY Katybr55 Josh, they aren't ignorant, they are fully aware of what their products do, they don't care, and even if someone sues, they have made so much money on that drug they figure it's just a drop in the bucket. It's not ignorance, it's murder.
__New Birth Control Pill Problems
Fri May 18, 2007 11:09 am
<This is also from http://blogs.mercola.com/sites/vitalvotes/archive/2007/04/23/Hidden-Dangers-of-New-Birth-Control-Pill.aspx -- Like the old pill, the new birth control pill/s use> ARTIFICIAL hormones that are prescriptions for disaster over the long run. Oral contraceptives are synthetic hormones that your body is not designed to be exposed to in any way, shape or form. Long-term use will invariably increase the user's risk of developing serious chronic illness, including blood clots and other problems. -- Additionally, long-term suppression of periods will minimize blood loss and could contribute to iron overload syndromes that are so pervasive in men. Elevated iron stores are one of the primary risk factors for cancer and heart disease. -- I really don't believe that there is ever any clinical indication to use them. As always, your best bet is to avoid birth control pills like the plague and seek out safer solutions that can be just as effective <Use the search box on the homepage>.
Related Articles: Birth Control Pill Linked to Two Types of Cancer -- Stay Away From This Potentially Fatal Form of Birth Control -- Do You Really Need an Implantable Birth Control Device
__Parrots Warn of Toxic Teflon Fumes
Fri May 18, 2007 10:55 am
.Coal mines used to keep caged birds in mines to warn miners when toxic gases reach dangerous levels. If the birds get sick or die, dangerous fumes are present. Parrots can do the same in the home. This is from http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2007/03/20/more-ways-nonstick-cookware-chemical-can-harm-your-baby.aspx -- Mercola website reader Felicia from Seattle, Washington said: "Parrot keepers have known for a while now about the dangers of teflon and other coated cookware. Even a little over-heating creates toxic gases that kill parrots or other pet birds nearly instantly. The very few birds that survive the primary exposure die a horrible and painful death unless a vet kills them more humanely. http://www.birdsafe.com has more information about this little-known fact and many others relating to bird safety in the home many of which dove-tail beautifully with this health site and many others in diet and exercise suggestions." .
- Dr. Mercola said: PFOA (Perfluorooctanoic Acid), also known as C8, is a key chemical used in the manufacture of Teflon and the protective coating that prevents grease stains on boxes and wrappers. Preliminary findings of a study at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health have linked the chemical to lower birth weights among newborns. -- Just a warning that the containers of many of the useless, health-harming processed foods you see in the grocery store, ranging from candy bars to French fry boxes to microwave popcorn, are lined with Teflon, <which would give off toxic fumes when heated>. -- <The teflon> industry proponent's strongest statement for the defense of Teflon is that it was not conclusively shown to cause cancer in animals. Well, this is a fatally flawed argument on a number of points. -- First, the animals were not exposed to Teflon in the way that you typically are. <They were exposed to unheated teflon, whereas people in the home are exposed to fumes of heated teflon.> However, the problem is that this product is, BY DESIGN, intended to be heated,. And, as such, its toxicity needs to be measured with this function in mind. -- But even if it did not cause cancer, we have large numbers of anecdotal reports of people, including the founder of EFT, Gary Craig, who have had serious health problems absolutely disappear once they removed the Teflon cookware from their home. -- Additionally, if PFOA is as harmless as STATS argues, then why has the EPA called for a ban on it -- albeit a voluntary one? If it doesn't persist very long in the human body, then why has the presence of PFOA been linked as of late to lower birth weights among newborn babies, who've probably never had contact with coated frying pans or popcorn bags? If they didn't get it from their mothers, then where did it come from? . -- There's no lack of evidence as far as I am concerned, considering the health problems several patients experienced that suddenly vanished after they got rid of their Teflon-coated cookware. -- A huge, wealthy corporation like DuPont can have enormous sway with the federal government, and the EPA in particular. I would think twice before taking STATS' point of view that safety evidence that comes primarily from the manufacturer of a product should be trusted. -- In my mind there simply is no justification to continue to use Teflon, or Teflon-like clones, cookware.
Related Articles: It's Official: Teflon is a ''Likely'' Carcinogen -- Your Teflon Frying Pan May Be Causing Problems -- More Ways Teflon Can Harm Your Baby
__MSG CAUSES SENILITY
Thu May 17, 2007 10:53 pm
MSG is Why You Want to Avoid McDonald's Like the Plague http://www.mercola.com/2006/may/11/msg_is_why_you_want_to_avoid_mcdonalds_like_the_plague.htm [Other names for MSG are: Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, Monopotassium Glutamate, Hydrolyzed Plant Protein, Glutamic Acid, Yeast Food, Yeast Extract Glutamate, Textured Protein, Sodium Caseinate, Natural Flavor, etc] . -- A close reading of a list of classic McDonald's recipes from the '50s through the '70s reveals a disturbing amount of Monosodium Glutamate (MSG), a chemical whose potential health effects have caused considerable controversy. -- However, the use of MSG in McDonald's food is not solely a matter of history. MSG is still present in some forms in many modern McDonald's products, including their Grilled Chicken Fillet, Sausage Patty, and French Fries. -- Many other foods on their menu, especially those that contain "natural flavors" or "hydrolyzed protein" as ingredients, also contain MSG. Most of the MSG is in the form of glutamic acid, the chemical's active component. Studies have indicated that MSG can cause severe allergies and even brain damage. Most baby food companies have voluntarily stopped using MSG in their products. Mr-imp.net .
- Dr. Mercola's Comment: Glutamic acid (MSG) is a major component of McDonald's food. While there's simply no excuse for consuming their French fries or diet soft drinks, one could make a logical argument to have their hamburgers, as long as you are not a carb type. -- But this does not take into consideration the MSG added to their foods. MSG is a toxic substance people consume in processed foods, and probably wouldn't if they knew it causes many of their brain cells to die. -- McDonald's and most all other fast food restaurants use MSG to help sell their foods. MSG is very inexpensive and makes the food taste good -- which in many ways is similar to sugar -- but MSG is far more toxic than sugar. -- MSG, like L-cysteine and aspartame, are excitotoxins, chemical transmitters that allow brain cells to communicate, as described in Dr. Russell's Blaylock's book, Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills. Excitotoxins are exactly what they sound like: Toxins like MSG that excite your brain cells to DEATH! . -- The bottom line is that you are going to need to invest some time in the kitchen if you want to stay healthy and avoid fast foods, which if consumed regularly will accelerate your departure from this planet. -- To help you get started, you'll want to review Colleen Huber's awesome piece on how to eat healthier organic food, free from many additives and preservatives, on a budget. http://www.mercola.com/2005/mar/23/junk_food.htm -- http://www.mercola.com/2004/may/29/whole_food_cooking.htm .
Related Articles: McDonald's Trans Fat Promise Long Forgotten -- Eye Damage from MSG -- Does McDonald's Have Any Other Health-Harming Secrets They Need to Share?
__Healthy Cheesecake Recipe
Tue May 8, 2007 12:48 am
.The recipe is on a video clip at: http://v.mercola.com/blogs/public_blog/Foolproof-Yummy-Cream-Cheese-You-Can-Make-at-Home-14221.aspx. Add one cup of milk to one cup of cream; add a drop of rennet; add a teaspoon of kefir powder or a tablespoon of semiliquid kefir [from health food store]. Mix well. Let set overnight in glass bowl. Let drain in cheesecloth in plastic collander about 8 hours. Cheesecake stores about 5 days in frij. Use the whey that drains off in other recipes or with juice etc.Kefir is good for digestion, GI tract flora and nutrition. - LK
__Excess Arsenic in Food & Drink
Wed May 2, 2007 7:41 pm
Mercola had this article on arsenic in chickens, so I decided to see what other articles his site had on arsenic. Read the first article to see which chickens you may want to avoid. LK . -- Is the Chicken You Eat Poisoned With Arsenic? Roxarsone, an arsenic-based additive used in chicken feed, could pose health risks to humans. http://v.mercola.com/blogs/public_blog/Is-the-Chicken-You-Eat-Poisoned-With-Arsenic--10528.aspx . -- 13 Million in US at Increased Cancer Risk Due to Arsenic in Water ... The allowable level of arsenic in the drinking water by the US Government is under reconsideration http://www.mercola.com/2001/sep/22/arsenic_water.htm . -- Spirulina for Arsenic Poisoning 7/2/00 -- A majority of the population of Bangladesh is being poisoned by an arsenic contaminated water supply. -- http://www.mercola.com/2000/jul/2/spirulina_arsenic.htm . -- Fluoridation and Arsenic: The Hidden Hazards Behind the Faucet heart patients who receive prayer have 50 to 100 percent fewer side effects -- http://www.mercola.com/2001/jun/30/fluoride.htm . -- Arsenic Triggers Flood of Free Radicals 3/3/01 -- Arsenic is being intentionally added to much of the water in the US, as a contaminant of the chemicals used to fluoridate. http://www.mercola.com/2001/mar/3/arsenic.htm . -- EPA's Proposed Arsenic Reduction May Stop Water Fluoridation 7/9/00 -- The EPA has recommended that, according to available science, the maximum amount of arsenic allowed in drinking water supplies should be lowered 10-fold. -- http://www.mercola.com/2000/jul/9/arsenic_water.htm . -- Arsenic Linked To Bladder Cancer 3/24/01 EPA relaxing arsenic regulations in drinking water -- http://www.mercola.com/2001/mar/24/arsenic.htm . -- Too Much Arsenic In Water? -- top medical news on subjects including splenda, soy, sucralose, statins, insulin, aspartame, prevention -- http://www.mercola.com/1999/archive/arsenic_in_water.htm . -- Arsenic: The Hidden Poison in Your Drinking Water 4/16/05 You may have heard of arsenic but you may not be aware how deadly it is. Your tap water is a primary source of such toxins. -- http://www.mercola.com/2005/apr/16/arsenic_water.htm
__Oppose Codex, Threat to Health Freedom -- Effective Action Against Codex
Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:11 pm 412
See http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=853055#i or http://curezone.com/forums/top50.asp
__Source of Sweetening -- Miracle Fruit Seeds
Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:59 am
Mercola just had an article about the natural sweetener from Africa called Miracle Fruit. It is said to coat the tongue with sweetener so that anything eaten after that for 2 hours also tastes sweet. One guy said he could eat several very sour limes after eating a bit of the fruit. The plants apparently grow best in warmer states, so I decided not to try to get any for myself just yet, but I did find a source for the seeds, in case anyone else would like to try to grow them. This source charges a few dollars for one seed, but $48 [plus about $5 shipping cost] for a hundred seeds. If anyone wants to send me a complimentary fruit when your tree grows, that would be nice. But they grow about 15 feet tall in probably a few years. I read that they can be trimmed and grown indoors. Here is a U.S. source. [Lloyd] . -- BANANA TREE, 715 NORTHAMPTON ST, EASTON, PA 18042 http://www.banana-tree.com/Product_Detail~category~15~Product_ID~690.cfm
__Protect Hearing with Nutrition
Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:26 pm
How You Can Easily Protect Your Hearing -- April 02, 2007 http://www.mercola.com -- A new animal study showed that a combination of vitamins A, C, and E, as well as magnesium, can protect hearing. -- When the mixture was taken in high doses an hour before exposure to a loud noise, and then taken once a day for five days thereafter, the animals in the study were protected from permanent noise-induced hearing loss even after prolonged exposure to sounds as loud as a jet engine taking off at close range. -- University of Michigan researchers studied the effect loud noises had on four groups of guinea pigs exposed to 120-decibel sounds after they were treated either with differing combinations of those nutrients or a placebo. The group of animals given all four nutrients suffered less noise-induced hearing loss than all the others. -- The vitamins prevent inner ear damage caused by excessive free radical activity, which is a major factor in hearing loss after noise trauma. The doses given after the noise "scavenged" any free radicals that continued to form. The vitamins may also reduce neural excitotoxicity, the damage to auditory neurons that results from over-stimulation. -- Clinical trials could begin soon for a hearing-protection supplement in the form of a tablet or snack bar. Such a product could be available in as little as two years. Free Radical Biology and Medicine February 20, 2007 . -- EurekAlert March 28, 2007.
- Dr. Mercola's Comment: If you or a loved one is frequently exposed to loud noises -- for example, American soldiers fighting in Iraq -- then you'll be glad to know a combination of antioxidants may be helpful to protect your hearing. -- Of course the BEST way to protect your hearing is to wear proper hearing protection when you are exposed to loud noises. Sometimes this just isn't practical so in those circumstances you might be surprised to find out that vitamin E and other antioxidants can help protect your hearing. -- And in addition, vitamin E can also: * Prevent cardiovascular diseases * Reduce cancer * Help improve the functioning of your immune system . -- Unfortunately, however, some scientists have formed a startup company poised to market this "discovery" in the form of a debatably "nutritional" candy bar or pill. Vitamins in the form of isolated supplements are never as good for you as the ones present in whole foods, where they are accompanied by many other beneficial micronutrients. -- Your best sources of vitamin A, vitamin C and magnesium are natural ones <like carrots, oranges, raw eggs, spinach, romain lettuce. -- http://fnic.nal.usda.gov/nal_display/index.php?info_center -- 4&tax_level -- 3&tax_subject -- 274&topic_id -- 1323&level3_id -- 5147 .
Sources of Vitamin A -- Pumpkin, canned, 1 cup ---- 11,748mcg 587% -- Carrot juice, canned, 1 cup 10,247mcg 512% -- Carrots, cooked, 1 cup ----- 5,891mcg 295% -- Carrots, raw, 1 medium ----- 2,028mcg 100% -- Winter squash, baked, 1 cup- 1,398mcg 70% -- Plantain, raw, 1 medium ------ 784mcg 39% -- Pumpkin pie, 1 piece --------- 748mcg 37% -- Collards, cooked, 1 cup ------ 216mcg 11% .
Sources of Vitamin C -- Sweet red pepper, ½ cup------ 141mg 166% -- Strawberries, 1 cup ---------- 82mg 96% -- Orange juice, ¾ cup ---------- 75mg 88% -- Orange 1 medium ------------- 70mg 82% -- Grapefruit juice, ¾ cup------- 60mg 71% -- Broccoli, ½ cup, cooked------- 58mg 68% -- Tomatoes, 2 medium ----------- 46mg 54% -- Grapefruit ½ medium ---------- 44mg 52% -- Potato, 1 medium, baked------- 26mg 31% .
Sources of Magnesium -- Almonds, dry roasted, 2 oz ---- 160mg 40% -- Cashews, dry roasted, 2 oz ---- 150mg 38% -- Nuts, mixed, dry roasted, 2 oz- 130mg 33% -- Peanuts, dry roasted, 2 oz ---- 100mg 25% -- Halibut, cooked, 3 oz ---------- 90mg 23% -- Spinach, frozen, cooked, ½ cup-- 75mg 19% -- Bananas, raw, 2 medium --------- 60mg 15% -- Potato, baked w/ skin, 1 medium- 50mg 13% -- Peanut butter, smooth, 2 T ----- 50mg 13% -- Blackeyed Peas, cooked, ½ cup -- 45mg 11% -- Vegetarian Baked Beans, ½ cup -- 40mg 10% -- Rice, brown, cooked, ½ cup ----- 40mg 10% .
Sources of Vitamin E -- Wheat germ oil, 1 T -------------- 20mg 100% -- Almonds, dry roasted, 2 oz ------- 15mg 80% -- Sunflower seeds, dry roasted, 2 oz 12mg 60% -- Hazelnuts, dry roasted, 2 oz ------ 9mg 45% -- Sunflower oil, 1 T ---------------- 6mg 30% -- Safflower oil, 1 T ---------------- 5mg 25% -- Peanuts, dry roasted, 2 oz -------- 4mg 20% -- Kiwi, 2 medium -------------------- 2mg 10% .
Sources of Folate [Folic Acid] -- Beef liver, braised, 3 oz --------- 185mcg 45% -- Cowpeas, boiled, ½ cup ------------ 105mcg 25% -- Spinach, boiled, ½ cup ------------ 100mcg 25% -- Great Northern beans, boiled, ½ cup 90mcg 20% -- Asparagus, boiled, 4 spears ------- 85mcg 20% -- Vegetarian baked beans, 1 cup ----- 60mcg 15% -- Spinach, raw, 1 cup --------------- 60mcg 15% -- Oranges, 2 small ------------------ 60mcg 16% -- Green peas, boiled, ½ cup --------- 50mcg 15% -- Broccoli, cooked, ½ cup ----------- 50mcg 15% -- Egg, whole, raw, 2 large ---------- 50mcg 12% -- Cantaloupe, raw, 1/2 medium ------- 50mcg 12% -- Broccoli, raw, 2 spears ----------- 45mcg 10% -- Avocado, raw, ½ cup --------------- 45mcg 10% -- Banana, 2 medium ------------------ 40mcg 12% -- Peanuts, dry roasted, 1 oz -------- 40mcg 10% -- Lettuce, Romaine, ½ cup ----------- 40mcg 10% -- Tomato Juice, canned, 6 oz -------- 35mcg 10% -- Orange juice, ¾ cup --------------- 35mcg 10% .
Related Articles: Noisy Toys May Cause Permanent Hearing Damage -- Hard of Hearing? There May Be a Surprising Cause -- A High-Tech Caution: Take Care Of Your Ears .
Article's Comment -- BY Duane April 02, 2007 Mary - Folic acid has been shown to reduce or prevent hearing loss. Also ginkgo biloba can help restore lost hearing - depending on the cause. Do some Google searches, or search vrp.com or lef.org. Good Luck! . -- BY NaturalHealthLover April 02, 2007 Cool earplugs - for concerts, sleeping etc. http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/silnatrubear.html . -- BY Lukane April 17, 2007 Carbon Monoxide. A recent UCLA study indicates that permanent hearing loss and tinnitus can be caused by CO levels as low as 25 PPM. Every fireman I've told this to said he experienced both these things. It is more likely the antioxidant and mineral are reversing CO damage than loud noise damage alone.
__Oil Mouth Rinse, Great Results Reported
Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:03 pm 407
<My site link again is http://www.freewebs.com/soyps > -- According to my analysis of the Curezone survey on oil mouth rinsing or pulling at http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=847384#i , here are the benefits and side-effects you can expect if you try it, if you're like the average survey taker. [Note: It involves swishing about a teaspoon of olive oil back and forth over the teeth and gums for about ten minutes a day.] . THE GREAT MAJORITY, 75% OF 111 PEOPLE, HAD NO APPARENT SIDE-EFFECTS FROM O.P. IN 1 TO 3 MONTHS OF USE . A MINORITY, 23%, HAD SOME POSSIBLE O.P. SIDE-EFFECTS The main possible side-effects reported were: __Acne 6%; __Tooth pain 5%; __Dry Skin, Allergy 4%; __Headache, Gum Problems, Eczema, Cystic Acne, Bad Breath 2% . 62.5% REPORTED HEALTH IMPROVEMENTS FROM O.P. IN 1 TO 3 MONTHS . HERE ARE THE MAIN HEALTH IMPROVEMENTS REPORTED: __[21 of 65 report] Teeth color [whiter]; __[17 "] Gums, Gingivitis; __[15 "] Dry Skin; __[12 "] Plaque; __[10 "] Fatigue, Exhaustion; __[10 "] Bad breath; __[9 "] Gum Disease - Periodontitis; __[9 "] Allergies; __[9 "] Clearness; __[8 "] Tooth Pain; __[8 "] Teeth texture; __[7 "] Skin quality; __[7 "] Tongue, coated; __[7 "] Bloating; __[6 "] Constipation; __[6 "] Brain Fog; __[5 "] Acne; __[4 "] Acne Blackheads; __[4 "] Dark circles under eyes; __[4 "] Anxiety; __[4 "] Depression; __[4 "] Headache, occasional; __[3 "] Back Pain; __[3 "] Candida; __[3 "] Mood Swings; __[3 "] Keratosis Pilaris [a skin condition]; [65 of 104 = 62.5%] is Total % of people with improvements; . 15% THINK ONE OR MORE HEALTH PROBLEMS WERE CURED WITHIN 2 OR 3 MONTHS ON AVERAGE! HERE ARE THE MAIN CONDITIONS THEY THINK WERE CURED: 4 Gums, swollen or bleeding; 3 Acne; 2 Tooth pain; 2 Brain Fog; 2 Constipation; 2 Allergies. 1 [many other symptoms] . The main oils that survey takers used were sunflower oil, sesame oil, olive oil, coconut oil, flax oil, hemp oil and a few others.
__Try Oil Mouth Rinse, then Fill out Survey?
Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:57 pm 406
The School of Young People's Science of St. Louis, MO is looking for teachers, students et al as volunteers for a 2-week oral hygiene and health experiment. It's very simple, involving a daily ten-minute olive oil mouth rinsing [also called oil pulling]. Will it prove to be an oral hygiene breakthrough? [I think so!] This current experiment is listed on our new website: http://freewebs.com/soyps -- A survey form will be linked to at the site in about 2 weeks. At least 111 volunteers have already done the experiment and completed the survey, but we need many more volunteers before secure conclusions can be determined. Preliminary findings are very encouraging. Thank you for your interest. Sincerely, Lloyd Kinder, B.Sci., Asst. Experiment Coordinator, SOYPS
__GreenPeace v. NeoCorns: GM Corn in Cereal, Sweeteners
Wed Apr 4, 2007 10:38 am
GM Corn in Cereal & Sweeteners etc -- GM Corn Causes Organ Damage in Rats: Will it Cause it in You? -- March 19, 2007 - http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2007/03/08/warning----gm-food-linked-to-cancer.aspx -- A study commissioned by Greenpeace, published in the journal Archives of Environmental Contamination and Technology, demonstrated that rats who were fed for 90 days on Monsanto's MON863 maize showed "signs of toxicity" in the liver and kidneys. -- This marks the first time that independent research published in a peer-reviewed journal has shown toxicity stemming from a genetically modified organism (GMO) authorized for human consumption. -- Greenpeace and other organizations campaigning against GMOs say that GM technology is unproven and potentially dangerous, and also that GMO crops can contaminate other crops. -- MON863 is genetically modified to make it resistant to corn rootworm. It has been authorized for human consumption in the European Union since January 2006. -- Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology March 14, 2007 -- Scientific American March 13, 2007 -- NutraIngredients USA.com March 19, 2007 .
- Dr. Mercola's Comment: After hearing this information, you might be thinking that you are not at risk, because you don't eat GM corn. Think again. At least 75 percent of the processed foods sold contain some GM ingredients, including common foods you find at the grocery store, like frozen dinners, breakfast cereals and cooking oils. -- Consider further that 90 percent of the money Americans spend on food is for processed foods, and that you also likely eat in restaurants. There is, in fact, a major probability this is affecting you even if you don't go out and consciously purchase GM corn. -- The American court system is certainly beginning to pay more attention to the GM tidal wave, with judges demanding that the USDA conduct the proper oversight and not turn their heads when it comes to the shenanigans of agribusiness giants like Monsanto. -- If you still have any doubt about the harm GM foods can do to your body, devote an hour to watching the brilliant documentary, Genetically Modified Food -- Panacea or Poison. -- Some quick tips to protect your health and stay away from GM foods as much as you can: * Strive to use organic foods as often as you can and don't let the trend toward greenwashing fool you. * Read produce stickers and food labels carefully. * Reduce, with the plan of eliminating, processed foods from your diet.
Related Articles: The Damage GM Foods Can do to Your Body -- The False Promise of GM Crops Never Realized -- The Insidious Deception of GM Rice in Japan
__Authorities Insanely Suppress Raw Milk
Sun Apr 1, 2007 9:08 am
<This is from http://blogs.mercola.com/sites/vitalvotes/archive/2007/05/18/Ron-Paul-Introduces-Legislation-to-Limit-the-FDAs-Authority-Over-Supplements.aspx?ShowAllComments=True -- Processed milk has greatly reduced nutrition, but kefir can be added to make it healthful again. Kefir is free, once you obtain a little, because it reproduces itself in the milk. - LK> . -- Time Magazine Cites Mercola.com as a Leader in the Raw Milk Movement -- March 14, 2007 . -- This Time Magazine article examines the growing market for raw, unpasteurized milk, and the continuing government crackdown on suppliers. Dr. Mercola is quoted as saying that raw milk is "one of the most profoundly healthy foods you can consume." . -- Raw-milk enthusiasts insist that heat-treating milk destroys beneficial bacteria, proteins and enzymes that aid in digestion. Others praise its nutritional value, or and its ability to strengthen the immune system. -- The FDA banned interstate sales of raw milk 20 years ago. Individual states have a variety of conflicting rules and laws on the matter; 23 states prohibit raw-milk sales for human consumption, but the rest allow sales under certain conditions. -- Cow-sharing programs, an increasingly popular arrangement, designed to circumvent restrictions, in which members own a share in a cow, have led state agriculture officials to confiscate milk and put pressure on producers in response. -- Time March 13, 2007 .
- Dr. Mercola's Comment: Most people are seriously confused about milk and there is a progression of enlightenment that I would like to review. -- Nearly all commercial pasteurized dairy is very unhealthy and should clearly be avoided. -- Others believe if their milk is organic all problems are solved as it is the hormones and antibiotics that are the problem. Wrong again. Pasteurization is the worst thing you can do to milk and organic pasteurized milk is just as bad as non-organic milk.  . -- When one reaches raw milk you truly have a healthy product but even there one can have different grades. Better yet would be from cows that were nearly exclusively grass-fed. Organic certification is not typically necessary in these instances as most farmers producing this type of milk are familiar with health principles and do not require an expensive certification process to produce good milk. -- Organic certification with milk (and many other products) really does not provide the level of quality that you think it does because of the tricks and perversions that big industry is able to get away with. -- With respect to this Time piece I am delighted to finally be making small headway in the media and spreading the above message. The Wall Street Journal did an extensive interview with me two years ago for a front-page story on raw milk but then decided to exclude my comments. -- Two years later, Time decided it was OK to include a comment from me in their latest recap of the goings-on in the raw milk movement. Varying state and local restrictions present a conundrum for consumers eager to find and consume it, and send federal government officials scrambling in some parts of America to prevent farmers from selling it. It's ironic that this healthy product is so hard to obtain, when the FDA has approved cloned cow's milk that, apparently, nobody wants. -- Producers like Richard Hebron lease a portion of their cows to consumers as a way to get around state laws. But Hebron was arrested by Michigan authorities last year, in a deliberate effort, some speculate, to dry up raw milk supplies. Many of the patients in my clinic and I had previously purchased milk from Richard. -- Nobody can deny raw milk consumption is growing in America, as it is one of the healthiest foods anyone could consume, by far. And, if you're unable to find raw milk in your area, visit the Raw Milk Web site to locate a source near you. -- It's less allergenic, it has more nutrients, it tastes better, and it is not associated with any of the health problems surrounding pasteurized milk such as rheumatoid arthritis, skin rashes, diarrhea and cramps. Even people who have been allergic to pasteurized milk for many years can typically tolerate and even thrive on raw milk.
Related Articles: The Real Reasons Why Raw Milk is Becoming More Popular -- Why You Don't Want to Drink Pasteurized Milk -- Raw Milk Meets Mainstream Media