Tags : :
__More Sun Reduces Cancer Risk
Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:42 pm 398
http://v.mercola.com/blogs/public_blog/How-to-Reduce-Your-Risk-of-Cancer-By-50--8790.aspx -- This video has a graph that shows that sunshine, which stimulates vitamin D production under the skin, greatly reduces cancer. Sunscreens increase cancer, because of cancer-causing chemicals in them. - LK
__Articles, Videos on Vaccines & Fluoride Dangers etc
Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:35 pm
.Mercola's latest email newsletter, http://www.mercola.com/2007/feb/15, has 3 or more important articles. One is a warning for Type 2 diabetics not to take insulin, which is only for Type 1 diabetics. Diabetics also need to use foods with a low glycemic index [most fruits and vegs, beans, protein and fat foods, BUT NOT grain, sugar, dried fruit, or starchy vegs, like potato] and to do light to moderate exercise after meals. -- .Another article with a long video [Click here] is about problems with vaccines, including the fact that most vaccines are produced from putrid animal tissues or even human fetuses [which themselves often contain many diverse viruses], as well as toxic substances, like formaldehyde and mercury. It probably doesn't mention that some of the main companies producing vaccines are owned by Rockefellers, Merck, Sloan and other neocons, like the Bush family, James Baker et al, most of whom have had a long interest in population control, for which they collaborated with Hitler's Nazis via I.G.Farben, which controlled concentration camps. Bayer aspirin is one of the companies that sprang from the break-up of Farben. -- .A Tennessee tv station recently aired a short report on fluoride dangers, also linked in Mercola's newsletter here. It stresses that fluoride has been shown to be exp. dangerous for young children and various groups, such as the sick and the elderly.
__Cholesterol, Fats, Herb Sources
Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:56 pm 389
The media, medical profession et al lie about such things as cholesterol to sell more dangerous cholesterol-lowering drugs etc. See the truth about cholesterol and saturated fats etc in the article at http://www.drcranton.com/nutrition/oiling.htm or http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Diet_and_heart_disease . Cholesterol testing is greatly abused. Dr. West and others say that cholesterol is not a cause of heart disease, heart attacks, strokes etc. Cholesterol in our food is broken down during digestion and doesn't enter our blood as cholesterol. The liver takes nutrients from the blood and converts them into substances needed by the body. It makes cholesterol for our hormones and brains and every cell in the body. And it makes extra cholesterol to plug leaks in our blood vessels caused by poor diet. Those over age 65 who have low cholesterol levels don't live as long as those with high cholesterol levels. The cause of leaky blood vessels, that leads to heart attacks, strokes etc, seems to be mainly bad fats in the diet from most cooking oils, margarines, shortenings and foods made with these, such as snack foods, and foods made from dough etc. The blood vessels need natural fats along with proper nutrients and, if those are in short supply, they make do with bad fats that produce leaks and they plug the leaks with cholesterol. These bad fats are usually hydrogenated and processed under high heat and pressure; they're toxic and virtually devoid of nutrition. Whereas, natural fats in meats, dairy, eggs, nuts, seeds, coconuts, avocados etc are very nutritious and contain fat-soluble vitamins and other nutrients. Lard, butter, olive oil and coconut oil are good fats for frying and for salad dressings etc. .Overweight is caused mostly by low thyroid hormone levels, caused by chlorine in water, food and drinks that have water, and white flour, and fluoride in water, toothpaste, processed food and beverages, and medications. Low thyroid results in low metabolism, lower body temperature [under 98 degrees], cold hands and feet etc. High glycemic index foods, like flour, grain, cooked potato, sugar, dried fruit etc raise insulin levels, which cause rapid aging and weight gain. Low glycemic index foods include most fruits and vegetables, beans, proteins and fats. Light to moderate exercise after meals reduces insulin levels. Dr. Schulze recommends the Incurables Program for things like emphysema and lupus, as well as cancer, AIDS etc. See http://www.herbdoc.com/p62.asp and for good informative reading http://www.curezone.com/schulze/handbook/incur5.asp . His general Health Products are at: http://www.herbdoc.com/abptoc.asp .A cheaper source of quality herbs is: http://www.pacificbotanicals.com/index.php?cid=116 -- On the first link you can click on the individual formulae listed and get the price for each item. The 2 intestinal formulae and the echinacea one are probably best. The herbs in some of the other formulae can be gotten from the last link for Pac.Bot.'s. He says Echinacea is good for Lupus and Lobelia is good for Emphysema. Anyone with allergies should stay off of all wheat products for a month to see if symptoms are relieved. Sprouted wheat would probably not cause allergies. I can provide a wheat sprout bread recipe if you like.
__Kefir Milk & Soaked Grain Bread & Drink
Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:31 pm 388
Kefir is very nutritious and aids digestion. See more info at http://kefir.biz/benefit.htm or http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/canyousaykefir.htm. You can get kefir at health food stores or here's a list of people you can ask for kefir. Most want a few dollars to cover postage. People in the U.S. are listed toward the bottom. http://www.torontoadvisors.com/Kefir/kefirgrains7.html . You should ask several people, because some don't reply. Here's instructions on how to make extra kefir from the kefir lumps or grains: http://www.seasonaldeals.com/sejla/kefir/kefir.htm . It says not to put the kefir in metal containers or handle it with metal utensils. It also says not to use skim milk, but I've been using it okay. The kefir lumps should be kept in milk in the frij for storage. If you don't have milk, they'll last I guess a week or so without milk, if kept cold. They need a constant food supply, such as milk, but they don't need as much when they're cold. They may not survive freezing. When you want to make kefir milk, put a lump or more of kefir into a jar of fresh milk. Let it set out overnight or longer at room temperature with a screen or loose lid on it. When done, strain out the kefir lumps to reuse to make more kefir milk later. You can drink the kefir milk plain, or add fruit, stevia, etc to sweeten it. You can put it in other food too or add other condiments for taste. The lactose in kefir milk is converted to lactic acid and is therefore probably edible by people who are lactose-intolerant. But they would have to make sure the kefir has set long enough to convert all the lactose. The more milk and the smaller the kefir lumps, the longer it takes to convert. But it would probably not take more than 1 or 2 full days. There are some sprout recipes at http://www.homeopathyone.com/recipes.htm#Rejuvelac -- Here are recipes for a healthful drink and for bread. REJUVELAC .Soak a cup of grain 8-12 hours in 1 qt of pure water .After soaking, add 1/4 cup of kefir milk to the soaked grain and grind it all in a blender for 20 seconds .Then add 2 qts of pure water and blend for 5 seconds .Pour in a jar and cover with screen or cloth and let it set overnight or for 8-12 hours .Then refrigerate with a loose lid and drink 1 pint or more a day .If you don't want to drink the solids, use them in sprout bread .SPOURT BREAD .Soak 2 cups of grain 8-12 hours in 1 qt of pure water .Optional: After soaking add 1 or 2 cups of any chopped vegetables such as celery, parsley, bell pepper, radish, carrot, beet, Rejuvelac solids etc .Optional: Also add 1 to 2 tablespoons of caraway, poppy, dill, or sesame seeds, dried or fresh herbs of your choice, stevia, sea salt etc .Pour it all into a blender or food processor & grind to a thick paste .Sprinkle a pan with flax seeds, pour the paste on top and sprinkle more flax seeds on top of the paste .Put the paste in a crock pot and set it on low for 10 hours or put it in an oven on low heat for 10 hours .Bread is then ready to use
__Fibromyalgia and Dangerous Fluoride Sources
Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:18 am 387
THE CAUSE OF FIBROMYALGIA by JASON A. UTTLEY (email@example.com) -- “Fluoridation could turn out to be one of the top 10 mistakes of the 21st century.” Dr. Hardy Limeback National Research Council, 2006 Review of Fluoride Toxicity For more than fifty years the words "chronic fatigue" have been synonymous with the first stage of a condition known as systemic fluorosis, or chronic fluoride poisoning. In fact, so well known is that particular association that motion picture director Stanley Kubrick would use it in his dark satire, Dr. Strangelove, to describe the moment his character, Gen. Jack Ripper, came to develop his fruity theories on the dangers of fluoridation. By contrast, only a handful of the world's leading experts on fluoride toxicity have long been aware that the symptoms of the emerging condition known as "fibromyalgia" exactly match those of the most severe form of fluoride poisoning. This little known fact was quietly highlighted by the intense focus on potential Sarin gas exposure for the nearly 200,000 veterans of the first Gulf War who have quietly become the largest single group to ever develop fibromyalgia. Despite the lack of evidence of mass exposure, it remained telling that the top authorities on a nerve gas known to derive all of its toxicity from fluoride proved they could not tell the difference between the lingering effects of Sarin exposure and the symptoms of fibromyalgia. While the majority of veterans blamed the preventative medications they’d been forced to take as the source of their illness, fearful military leaders shifted the focus away from those drugs so quickly that few seemed to notice that Sarin gas was not the only potential source of toxic fluoride exposure. Only as more and more veterans developed fibromyalgia and its related conditions in the years since the end of the 1991 Gulf War, including many who did not even leave the U.S. mainland, have those soldiers and committed researchers been able to slowly pressure the military to focus attention back on those drugs. The VA now stands at the center of the fibromyalgia controversy, attempting to explain to the medical community: - How the seemingly harmless sounding chronic fatigue syndrome relates to fibromyalgia, a condition that eventually cripples most of those who develop it with a laundry list of debilitating symptoms including: brain fog, severe muscle & joint pain, thyroid dysfunction, muscle spasms, numbness, chronic fatigue, irritable bowel, hair loss, vision problems, spinal & cranial calcification & kidney dysfunction; - What hundreds of thousands of largely male veterans might have in common with the estimated 8-10 million Americans, mostly women, who have now developed a crippling condition that seemed to emerge out of nowhere in the early 1980's. When I developed my case of fibromyalgia from 2 months of Cipro, a widely popular fluorinated antibiotic that is normally prescribed for 7-10 days at a time, no one really knew why I'd become sick. But that changed in late 2001, when many of the key questions regarding fibromyalgia were unexpectedly answered. For as a few anthrax-laced letters made their way into the U.S. mail system, thirty thousand people were suddenly put on 2 months of that very same medication. While most had not been exposed to anthrax, the CDC encouraged that Cipro be used for an extended course as a purely precautionary measure. However, as the medical community closely monitored those individuals, they began to notice the appearance of disturbing side effects. So severe and so widespread were those side effects in fact, that many were openly encouraged to stop taking the drug and switch to a “safer” medication. For a drug that had been prescribed over 200 million times, largely to women with urinary tract infections, the medical community was at a loss to explain why the extended treatment seemed to lead to such a widespread reaction. Things only worsened over time though. Among those who had stopped taking the medication, many began to realize that their so-called side effects were actually permanent. And even more remarkably, many months after the treatment, it was observed that everyone of those sampled that had completed the full two month treatment appeared to develop those same, permanent, crippling symptoms; symptoms that exactly match those of the emerging condition known as fibromyalgia. Not an allergic drug reaction as it turned out, but rather a universal toxic reaction to a fluoride based compound known as fluorophenyl. The same compound found in the now infamous cholesterol-lowering drug Baycol and weight-reducing drug, Fen-Phen. While the impact of Fen-Phen on the heart muscle consumed most of the focus back in 1997, some fibromyalgia groups have since tried to bring attention to the fact that the drug also appeared to be linked to fibromyalgia and its related conditions. Such a connection was highlighted for me when I met one of the longstanding support group leaders of the Minnesota Chronic Fatigue Syndrome & Fibromyalgia Assoc., who had developed her disabling case of fibromyalgia (which eventually put her in a wheelchair) after an extended treatment of Fen-Phen. Of course, when the fluorinated drug Fen-Phen was taken off the market in Sept of 1997, very little attention was paid to the fact that the non-fluorinated version of the same drug remained on the market. Nor was much attention paid to the fact that just months before, in April of 1997, the FDA had forced toothpaste manufacturers to dramatically upgrade their warning labels after suddenly “discovering” that fluoride was severely neurotoxic. EPA scientists in Washington D.C. quickly followed the unpublicized FDA action by calling for an immediate end to the practice of adding fluoride to the water supply, writing in their official letter of opposition that, "Like most Americans, including many physicians and dentists, most of our members had thought that fluoride's only effects were beneficial - reductions in tooth decay, etc. … We are [now] compelled to consider the likelihood that humans are experiencing damage to their brains and kidneys at the 'optimal' level of 1ppm." http://www.nteu280.org/Issues/Fluoride/NTEU280-Fluoride.htm Already deeply concerned over studies demonstrating fluoride’s considerable power to mutate genes, EPA scientists began to move aggressively against the controversial additive they had long supported after learning that one of the most prestigious dental research centers in the U.S., the Harvard-affiliated Forsyth Institute, had recently proven that fluoride was also severely neurotoxic. As similar studies appeared to confirm those disturbing findings, investigative journalist Joel Griffiths would inform Forsyth’s noted neurotoxicologist-turned whistleblower, Phyllis J. Mullenix, that her so-called discovery was not in fact a discovery at all. For not only had the 20th century’s top experts on fluoride toxicity, Kaj Roholm & George Waldbott, long warned of fluoride’s severe central nervous system effects, but recently declassified documents revealed that the original champion of fluoridation, Harold C. Hodge, one of America’s most influential toxicologists, who in his final days guided every step of Mullenix’s research, had long ago buried evidence demonstrating the extreme neurotoxicity of fluoride himself. The startling documents, uncovered by journalists in the wake of a 1995 presidential investigation, revealed that while supervising the injection of toxic doses of radioactive plutonium into unsuspecting hospital patients to gauge its effect on the human body (as Director of Toxicology for the Manhattan Project), Hodge had simultaneously championed the idea of dumping toxic fluoride waste into the water supply under the guise of protecting children’s teeth. Only, with millions of tons of fluoride waste generated from the enriching of uranium, Hodge's only concern had been to find a way to dispose of the massive amounts of fluoride required to make nuclear weapons. With the threat of an arms race already looming, Hodge invited the research labs of major industrial fluoride polluters to help cover up evidence of fluoride’s extreme toxicity, including its central nervous system effects, all in the interest of “national security.” On January 25, 1945, five days after the uranium diffusion plant in Oak Ridge, Tennessee became fully operational, Hodge achieved his secret objective, as Grand Rapids, Michigan officially became the first city on earth to be artificially fluoridated. In August of 2005, just months after journalist Chris Bryson’s landmark book “The Fluoride Deception” revealed new evidence of buried research by the men who had supposedly proven fluoride’s safety on behalf of the dental community, 13 EPA unions, representing more than 7000 public health toxicologists, chemists and other scientists, joined forces to call for a nationwide moratorium on fluoridation and a congressional investigation into its adverse effects. With alarm over the brain and kidney damaging effects of fluoride growing, concerned scientists have begun to observe how closely the symptoms of fibromyalgia and its related conditions appear to match the symptoms of chronic fluoride poisoning. While few paid much attention to the list of symptoms described by Dr. George Waldbott, M.D., the founder of the International Society of Fluoride Research and corresponding scientific journal “Fluoride”, when his 1978 book “Fluoridation: The Great Dilemma” was first published, those familiar with the fibromyalgia related conditions have been stuck by the apparent connection. The following unedited symptoms of chronic fluoride poisoning, authored by the leading authority on fluoride toxicity only a few years before the first mass cases of chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia were reported, appear on page 393 of the book “Fluoridation: The Great Dilemma”… Chronic fatigue not relieved by extra sleep or rest Headaches Dryness of the throat and excessive water consumption Urinary tract irritation Aches and stiffness in muscles/bones (arthritic-like pain) In lower back In neck area In jaws In arms, shoulders, legs Muscular weakness Muscle spasms (involuntary twitching) Tingling sensations in fingers (especially) and feet Gastrointestinal disturbances Abdominal pains Blood in stools Diarrhea Bloated feeling (gas) Constipation Tenderness in stomach area Feeling of nausea (flu-like symptoms) Pinkish-red or bluish-red spots (like bruises, but round or oval) on the skin that fade and clear up in 7-10 days. Skin rash or itching, especially after showers or bathing. Mouth sores (also from fluoridated toothpaste) Loss of mental acuity and ability to concentrate Depression Excessive Nervousness Dizziness Tendency to lose balance Visual disturbances Temporary blind spots in field of vision Diminished ability to focus (possible retinal damage) [See Reference Image: ) -- Page 393 of George Waldbott's 1978 book "Fluoridation: The Great Dilemma." Waldbott is the founder of the International Society of Fluoride Research and the "Fluoride" science journal. Waldbott is regarded as one of the 20th century's top experts in fluoride toxicity.] Thanks to medical specialization and the often-slow progression of symptoms, those who develop most of the major symptoms of chronic fluoride poisoning and are eventually diagnosed with "fibromyalgia", frequently share the experience of being treated like hypochondriacs, as one symptom after the next emerge, are diagnosed & treated separately by physicians. As a result, by the time the condition advances to include nearly the entire list of symptoms (including debilitating “brain fog”, or what Waldbott termed the “loss of mental acuity and ability to concentrate”), the fibromyalgia diagnosis has often been preceded by such labels as "chronic fatigue syndrome", "depression", "hypothyroidism", "irritable bladder", "irritable bowel syndrome", "multiple chemical sensitivity syndrome", and "myofascial pain syndrome", among others. Labels aside, whether or not those who suffer from fibromyalgia have been officially diagnosed with each of these related conditions, the overwhelming majority have symptoms of each and therefore understand from experience that they are all elements of a single underlying condition. Although the relative newness of fibromyalgia and many of its related conditions are often debated, what is not is that medical specialists began observing their sudden widespread appearance beginning in the early 1980's. In fact, so dramatically did the number of those suffering from the most debilitating symptoms ramp up, that by the end of the decade, Frederick Wolfe and the other leading rheumatologists who had only just gathered to define “fibromyalgia” a few years earlier, abruptly went their separate ways under mounting pressure to explain its sudden emergence. While the focus of the fluoride controversy has long been centered on the water supply, the anthrax letters of 2001 demonstrated how highly toxic forms of fluoride now available in select prescription drugs may be playing a considerable role in the emerging epidemic. For if a fluorinated antibiotic like Cipro (in a drug class developed in the early 1980's), can universally induce what is essentially the most severe form of fluoride poisoning in just 2 months, imagine how far down the road all those women are who have consumed mere weeks of the widely popular antibiotic. All this brings to mind the key objection of the 14 Nobel Prize winners in Chemistry & Medicine, including the 2000 Nobel Laureate for Medicine, Arvid Carlsson, that have warned against the practice of dumping fluoride waste into the nation’s water supply. For even before fluoride was known to be severely neurotoxic by more than a handful of experts, some of the world’s top scientists expressed grave concerns about the potential long-term damage that might result from adding the powerful enzyme poison to any substance that might be ingested, given its ability to accumulate in the human body. Ironically, not only have such warnings not been heeded, but it is precisely because of fluoride's cumulative nature that it has been increasingly added to prescription drugs. In adding an element that does not tend to leave the body, fluorinated drugs become significantly more potent than their non-fluorinated counterparts. However, as the leading experts in fluoride toxicity have cautioned for decades, there is also a huge risk in adding even minute quantities of fluoride to each new drug. For not only do they add to the already dangerous levels of the cumulative neurotoxin in our diet, but it is entirely possible that certain prescription drugs could potentially fragment within the human body and reform hyper-toxic fluoride compounds, such as fluoro acetate. Given that there is a well-known delayed reaction between the point such forms of fluoride enter the body (or are formed in the body), and when symptoms begin, each new drug represents a very real time bomb. A truly nightmare scenario made infinitely more likely with an FDA run by Wall Street analysts, appointed specifically to fast tracking drugs and allow drug companies not to have to monitor the long-term, chronic toxicity of their drugs given to millions of women. That there was a delayed reaction in the onset of symptoms for most veterans of the first Gulf War, as well as the victims of the anthrax letters treated with Cipro, it seems increasingly likely that fibromyalgia represents just such a worst-case scenario. Regardless of the specific form of fluoride involved though, perhaps the most compelling evidence linking fluoride to the cause of fibromyalgia may actually be reflected in the work of a few leading fibromyalgia researchers, who have unknowingly been uncovering key elements of fluoride toxicity that have long been the focus of the top experts in fluoride toxicity…. R. Paul St. Amand – with EPA scientists focused on the brain and kidney damaging effects of fluoride, this leading fibromyalgia researcher discovered guaifenisen as a treatment for fibromyalgia (and all its related conditions) after observing that every case appeared to be linked to a dysfunction of the kidney tubules. In treating thousands of patients, St. Amand has effectively proven what the top expert in fluoride toxicity, Kaj Roholm, suggested long ago in his definitive reference guide “Fluorine Intoxication”, which is that the kidneys lay at the root of nearly all the crippling symptoms, including the severe cognitive impairment termed “brain fog.” Michael J. Rosner – this fibromyalgia researcher pioneered the highly controversial surgery to remove spinal and cranial calcifications (where fluoride is well known to accumulate) that frequently develop in those with advanced cases of fibromyalgia. Promoted by groups like the National Fibromyalgia Research Association, this element of fibromyalgia mirrors what is arguably the most unique element of extreme chronic fluoride poisoning, known to experts in fluoride toxicity as “skeletal fluorosis.” (See 2nd and 3rd phase changes to the osseous system on page 142 of Roholm’s “Fluorine Intoxication” for a complete description) Garth and Nancy Nicolson – were renowned immunologists who began studying fibromyalgia when their daughter returned home from Iraq at the end of the first Gulf War complaining of symptoms. In developing the highly sophisticated mycoplasma test, the Nicolsons demonstrated that immune dysfunction was a key component of fibromyalgia. <They> discovered that male veterans afflicted with the condition appeared to spread fibromyalgia sexually to their female partners through an unusually high incidence of recurring urinary tract infections. Presumably unaware of the potential connection to fluorinated antibiotics, the Nicolsons went on an unsuccessful search for a potential contagious biological agent that might be able to explain the rapid rise in fibromyalgia. Ultimately, I know from experience that those suffering from the “brain fog” associated with fibromyalgia may have great difficulty comprehending what I have written here. To those people I say, you really only need to know one thing about the connection between fluoride & fibromyalgia, and that is this: if fluoride is indeed the cause of your condition, you will see a dramatic improvement in your symptoms simply by minimizing your exposure to fluoride. In this way, you can not only prove or disprove the cause of your condition, but even potentially make yourself better at the very same time. In my case, it was only by avoiding…(a) fluorinated drugs [those with “fl” in the chemical name], (b) fluorinated vitamins & supplements [even residual exposure to fluoride from other ingredients, such as those in many multi vitamins], (c) fluoridated water [using only distilled, reverse osmosis water instead], (d) fluoride-rich foods [i.e. tea, foods with water added, etc.), and to a lesser extent, (e) fluoride-based pesticides (i.e. sulfuryl fluoride)…that I was able to reduce how fast fluoride built up in my bloodstream and induced my symptoms of "fibromyalgia." Today, I know I owe my very life to whistle blowers like Dr. Phyllis Mullenix. While the noted neurotoxicologist only highlighted one particular element of fluoride poisoning, it was a critical one that allowed EPA scientists and others to begin to open their eyes to the growing body of independent scientific research that has slowly begun to expose “fibromyalgia”, “chronic fatigue syndrome”, and a variety of related conditions, as merely labels for the various symptoms, or stages, of chronic fluoride poisoning. Dr. Don Goldenberg, the noted rheumatologist who first introduced fibromyalgia to much of the medical community with his 1987 article in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), once wrote of fibromyalgia, “We should concentrate on treating the symptoms of chronic illness, not searching for a cause.” His statement mirrors the current mindset of much of the medical community, who offer to treat the myriad of debilitating symptoms related to fibromyalgia as if they are wholly unrelated to one another, as if the cause doesn’t matter. Well, I can tell you from experience, the cause certainly does matter. Reference images: Image #1 ( ): This image is an except of "The Fluoride Deception", which discusses the relative toxicity of inorganic airborne fluoride (as an example of fluoride's extreme toxicity). See the paragraph that begins, "The befuddlement of...." Image #2 ( ): Image is of Page 393 of George Waldbott's 1978 book "Fluoridation: The Great Dilemma." Waldbott is the founder of the International Society of Fluoride Research and the "Fluoride" science journal. Waldbott is regarded as one of the 20th century's top experts in fluoride toxicity.
__More on Brain Tumors from Cell Phones
Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:37 am
More Proof Long-Term Use of Cellular Phones is as Unhealthy as Cigarettes -- http://www.mercola.com/2007/feb/10 or http://www.mercola.com/newsletter/index.htm -- Cell Phones -- A new large-scale study has shown that long-term users of mobile phones are much more likely to develop a certain type of brain tumor on the side of the head where they hold their handsets. -- Those who regularly used mobiles for longer than 10 years were almost 40 percent more likely to develop nervous system tumors called gliomas. This is the second study to suggest an increased brain tumor risk associated with mobile phones. The study examined more than 1,500 people with gliomas, and an additional 3,300 people who did not suffer from the cancers. Scientists at first found no link between cellular phones and tumors, until they specifically reviewed the medical histories of patients who had been using mobiles for at least a decade. -- Telegraph.co.uk January 25, 2007 -- The Courier Mail January 20, 2007 .
- Dr. Mercola's Comment: I suspect this study will help to dispel much of the skepticism about the real dangers of cellular phone use. It makes sense that they needed to look at long-term users, researchers say, because tumors take a long time to develop. -- Unfortunately, for many of you, the cellular phone has evolved into an essential tool in your daily lives, so giving it up isn't possible. Your first best solution: Ensure your mobile has a speakerphone function and don't hold it near you at all while talking. Again, due to privacy concerns, that too may be a problem. -- If so, you may want to consider using a headset. There are many of them out there that you can use. However, I did quite a bit of investigation to find the absolute safest one. Some may feel it self-serving, but I feel it is my responsibility to identify inexpensive resources that could possibly save you from a brain tumor. -- I was able to find an inexpensive supply from China that uses a blue Air Tube and ferrite bead that blocks your exposure to electromagnetic fields that is completely different from most headsets. -- So remember the key here. If you use a phone it is best to use your speaker phone (no extra cost). If that is not possible then please use a headset. I don't care whose you use, just use one. -- If you want the one I researched it is available in my Web store.
- On Vital Votes, <Dr.?> Thedy from Appleton, Wisconsin adds: "I believe cell phones do have a place in our lives, and are important in case of emergencies. I would rather see someone have a cell phone if their car broke down than be a victim of a crime. But I also believe they are dangerous for our health. -- "Most people do not read the little inserts in their cell phone packages. I point these inserts out to others. They say right in every box, that they are not proven safe, and that you should not use them for prolonged conversations. I do not think young children should be using them. -- "And I think it is dangerous that more and more people are using them as their primary phone. -- "I have worked in oncology for years and more and more I see cancers that we are not able to categorize. Are they new forms of cancer? What are we getting them from? It is so important for us to limit our exposure to harmful elements in our environment."
__Health Video on Raw Milk etc
Sun Feb 4, 2007 11:01 pm
Would you kindly check out the video at http://www.mercola.com/2007/feb/3/index.htm ? -- It's a woman patient of - Dr. Mercola who tells how raw milk and raw eggs [made into eggnog] have helped her with serious health problems.I had serious health problems in 1996 when I started to get MS symptoms, probably from mercury poisoning from my fillings [which I got replaced for about $1100] and from vaccinations earlier in my life. That's when I started eating eggs and later other animal products after having avoided all animal products the previous 20 years. I didn't start eating eggs raw till 4 or 5 years ago. I blend them with some water, carrot, radish, beet, orange or kiwi or apple, and sea salt, stevia, flax and barley grass juice powder. I would add some raw milk too, but the local dairy farmers quit selling milk. I add kefir sometimes; that's similar to yogurt, but better.I just found 3 people in the south St. Louis area are said to have raw milk to buy at these numbers: 314-968-2596, 314-644-0317, 573-747-1889. Here's a website that lists raw milk providers in the rest of the U.S. etc: http://www.realmilk.com/where1.html .
__Natural Cancer & Diabetes Fighters
Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:56 pm
This is from http://www.mercola.com . More Revelations About The Latest Spicy Cancer Fighter -- Peppers Scientists have discovered the secret behind the ability of spicy foods to kill cancer cells. Capsaicin, which is found in jalapeno peppers, attacks the mitochondria of cancerous cells. -- Vanilloids, a family of molecules that includes capsaicin, bind to mitochondrial proteins in cancer cells to trigger apoptosis (programmed cell death), without causing harm to healthy cells. The biochemistry of cancer cell mitochondria is significantly different from that of normal cells. -- To determine this, capsaicin was tested on cultures of human lung and pancreatic cancer cells. -- Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications January 2, 2007 BBC News January 9, 2007
- Dr. Mercola's Comment: The list of foods that exhibit medicinal properties is extensive. Certain foods, such as garlic, have a long and storied history of use for a variety of ailments. Even the tasty blueberry has turned out to be one of the healthier foods nature has to offer. -- The capsaicin found in red chili peppers and other spicy foods is another well-known food component with healing properties. While its most common use has been as a component in topical creams for joint pain, it may also be capable of helping to lower insulin levels. But the good news has just kept on coming regarding the potential of capsaicin as a natural treatment for such severe illnesses as type 1 diabetes and cancer. -- The lead researcher on this latest study is so sure of the benefits that he believes using capsaicin this way has uncovered, perhaps, a universal "Achilles heel" for all cancers. -- And, considering capsaicin and other vanilloids are common in the average diet, researchers believe it may be possible that a diet richer in spicy foods could be prescribed one day for cancer patients or those at risk. -- Just more evidence -- if you really needed any more of it -- that the foods you eat greatly influence your health. -- On Vital Votes, Ray from Bloomington, Indiana adds: -- "Ever hear of the late Dr John Christopher, master herbalist? I heard him speak, about 20 years ago, about the miracle cures available from a host of herbs/spices. His absolute #1 'go-to' herb is/was cayenne pepper, one of the hottest. Says he stopped a heart attack dead in its tracks with it. Used it to stop bleeding also. -- "There are many other wonder herbs as well: echinacea, garlic, olive leaf extract, oil of oregano (extremely potent antimicrobial), ginger root, cilantro, parsley, lobelia and so many more."
- <Dr. Richard Schulze has a website and he was a student of Dr. Christopher. Schulze found that many herbs are conventionally used is doses that are too weak. He said he knew a guy who got over cancer by eating 47 or so cloves of raw garlic a day for a few weeks. I found that garlic is much easier to take blended in a blender with bananas and some water. -- LK>
- Related Articles: Burn Away Prostate Cancer With Jalapenos Spice Up Cancer Protection With Red Chili Peppers Red Hot Chili Peppers May Cure Type 1 Diabetes
__Teflon Causes serious Cancer
Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:55 am
The Teflon Deception Continues . -- TeflonEvidence continues to mount that perfluorochemical (PFC) emissions from synthetic compounds in non-stick cookware and cleaning products produced by DuPont may cause cancer and other health problems. -- In particular, perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) and perfluorooctane sulfonate (PFOS), which cannot be broken down by heat, light, or microbes, have been shown to cause tumors in the pancreas, liver, testicles, thyroid, or mammary glands in animal studies. -- Workers involved in manufacturing PFOA were also shown to be three times as likely to die of prostate cancer as those who weren't. -- PFC concentrations have been found in the blood of fish, dolphins, seals, sea lions, minks, polar bears, gulls, albatrosses, bald eagles, sea turtles, and dozens more species. PFOA is present in the blood of 90 percent to 95 percent of U.S. residents. DuPont has never conceded that PFCs cause health or environmental problems, although they have attempted to rein in emissions. -- AlterNet January 2, 2007 .
- Dr. Mercola's Comment: -- Despite mounting lawsuits against DuPont for perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), the harmful chemical used in the making of Teflon cookware among many other consumer goods, the company has still not conceded that perfluorochemicals (PFC) are the focal point of countless environmental and health-related disasters. -- The EPA has called for a Teflon ban, and DuPont has paid millions in fines for hiding evidence about the dangers of PFOA and other PFCs. -- But to date, any ban among manufacturers has been a voluntary one, and financial penalties, even in the millions of dollars, are mere chump change compared to the hundreds of billions made on products whose residues can be found in nearly every U.S. citizen. -- Among the interesting details about the ongoing Teflon scandal, outlined in this excellent AlterNet piece: -- More than a quarter of DuPont shareholders voted to eliminate PFOA completely last April, considered by many to be a wake-up call to management that has, up to now, been ignored. -- Despite the massive amount of information regarding the toxicity of these chemicals, however, it's anyone's guess whether PFCs will ever be regulated or that something worse might come along to replace them. The EPA receives almost 150 new applications for chemicals every month, and it's squarely their responsibility to ferret out the truth. -- Nevertheless, there are some simple steps you can take to avoid common toxic substances and protect your health, including: * Store your food in glass containers whenever possible, as it is the most inert container you can use. * Only use natural cleaning products in your home. Most health food stores will have these available or you can search online for them. * Buy and eat, as much as possible, organic foods. * Avoid processed foods. * Switch to natural brands of toiletries, including shampoo, toothpaste, antiperspirants and cosmetics. -- Of course, one of the most important things you can do is throw all your Teflon pots and pans away as Terry below has done. Ceramic-coated pans are my current favorites and are the ones I use in my own home. After more than two years of working through hard details I will be announcing them in the next two weeks. -- They will be exceptionally well priced and below what you will typically find in the stores. So either get some new pans now or wait for two more weeks and we should have them ready. -- On Vital Votes, reader Terry from Rothesay in New Brunswick, Canada, offers some alternatives to Teflon cookware: -- " ... I replaced my 3 Teflon frying pans with non-stick, ceramic coated pans. That seemed to be the best option out of what was locally available. And yes, I use coconut oil, or (raw, grass-fed) butter. They work really well for me. Clean-up is a breeze with hot water and a soft cloth. Can I say Kitchen-Aid? ... " . -- Other responses to this article can be viewed at Vital Votes, and you can add your own thoughts or vote on comments by first registering at Vital Votes.
- Related Articles: -- Your Teflon Frying Pan May Be Causing Problems -- DuPont Pays Heavy Price For Teflon Cover-Up -- More Troubles With Teflon Toxicity
__Difference between Omega-3 Fatty Acids and Omega-6
Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:01 pm 364
http://vitanetonline.com/forums/3/Thread/661, http://www.primacareefa.com/ -- http://gyminasuitcase.com/adw/omega3.php?gclid=CJjqhoujvokCFR1EWAodF1SvxA -- There are two main groups of polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA): Omega-3 and omega-6. Omega-3s are required for normal mental function, vision, the immune system, blood flow, heartbeat and metabolism of glucose and lipids. There are three types of omega-3 fatty acids: 1. alpha linolenic acid (LNA) from flaxseed, walnuts, tofu and canola oil; 2. eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA); and 3. docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). EPA & DHA are very long-chain fatty acids from cold-water ocean fish such as sardines, herring, mackerel, albacore tuna, salmon etc – hence, fish oil. DHA & EPA are the most needed omega-3s. LNA does not convert well to these forms. These omega-3s come in the form of triglycerides or esters. Esters are much more absorbable. DHA and EPA esters are most needed. Fish oils must be molecularly distilled to remove heavy metals, PCBs etc. There are two main omega-6 fatty acids: 1. arachidonic acid (AA); and 2. linoleic acid (LA). LA is the most important omega-6 and is found in vegetables, grains, seeds, nuts, meat and dairy foods. Both the omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids are called essential fatty acids, because they are necessary to health and cannot be made in the body. Each fatty acid has a CH3 [methyl] end on a chain of carbon atoms connected by bonds. In unsaturated fats there are no double bonds. Polyunsaturated fats have more than one double bond. The bonds are counted starting with the bond between the CH3 and the next carbon. In omega-3 fatty acids the first double bond is the third bond. In omega-6 it's the 6th bond. Where there are no double bonds the carbon atoms are saturated with hydrogen and this is the meaning of saturated fats. The body needs more saturated fats than unsaturated. They're needed for the brain, hormones, growth etc. Good sources of saturated fats are coconut oil, palm oil, meat, raw dairy. Olive oil is a Mono-unsaturated fat and is also good.
__EXCITOTOXINS PRODUCE MENTAL DECLINE
Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:21 pm 356
To help prevent mental decline avoid processed and other foods containing excitotoxins, i.e. glutamate, aspartate and cysteine. The main sources of glutamate are MSG and processed tomatoes. Sources of aspartate are artificial sweeteners, such as aspartame etc. The main sources of MSG are as follows: 223-4. MSG is: always in HVP [hydrolized vegetable protein, hydrolized protein, hydrolized plant protein, plant protein extract, textured protein, texturized vegetable protein], sodium caseinate, calcium caseinate, yeast extract, autolized yeast and hydrolized oat flour; usually in malt extract, malt flavoring, bouillon, broth, stock, flavoring, natural flavoring, natural beef or chicken flavoring, seasoning and spices; and often in carrageenan, enzymes, soy protein and whey protein. Food Additive Excitotoxins and Degenerative Brain Disorders Russell L. Blaylock, MD . Excitotoxins are substances that overstimulate certain brain cells till they die. There are a growing number of clinicians and basic scientists who are convinced that these cell deaths from excitotoxins eventually result in memory loss and mental decline associated with numerous diseases, such as learning disorders in children, AIDS dementia, episodic violence, some types of obesity, ALS, Huntington's disease and, in the elderly, Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's, and <so on>.(1) . The FDA, under control of the giant food companies, still refuses to recognize the immediate and long term danger to the public caused by excitotoxins added to the food supply as monosodium glutamate (MSG), hydrolyzed vegetable protein, and aspartame.* These food additives have nothing to do with preserving food or protecting its integrity. They are all used to enhance the taste of food so as to mask the normal disagreeable taste of processed foods. Excitotoxins are not present in just a few foods, but in almost all processed foods. In many cases they are being added in disguised forms, such as so-called natural flavoring, spices, yeast extract, textured protein, soy protein extract, etc. Liquids containing excitotoxins, such as soups, gravies and diet soft drinks, are more toxic than that added to solid foods, because they are more rapidly absorbed and reach higher blood concentrations. EXCITOTOXINS - Book by Dr. Russel Blaylock
- NOTES .34 Hydrolized vegetable protein contains a high amount of excitotoxins and carcinogens. It is made by boiling vegetables for several hours in sulphuric acid and then neutralizing the acid with lye. The FDA does not regulate this so-called food additive. 35 A 1957 experiment on mice fed MSG or aspartate in their food found that the eyesight of newborn mice was destroyed and of adult mice was greatly harmed. A similar study in 1968 found that, not only were the eyes seriously harmed, but so were important areas of the brain, including that involved in memory. 36 This brain damage caused mice to have stunted growth, become obese and infertile. 42 MSG kills brain cells by allowing too much sodium and water to enter and by opening a special channel that allows too much calcium to enter. It takes too much energy to pump the calcium out and, when the energy runs out, cells die. 54-7 How food science is corrupted by big business. Several books, like Betrayers of the Truth, Fraud and Denial in the Halls of Science, and Trashing the Planet, show that scientists have normal human weaknesses .104.Amphetamines, called uppers, are excitotoxins that produce Parkinson's Disease. 106. Over 47% of people in the U.S. age 85 and above have Alzheimer's. 107-8. The blood-brain barrier develops leaks from head injury, brain and spinal infections, hypertension, heavy metals, high core temperature and small silent strokes. 109. By age 65 the average American's brain cells for processing memory are 60% dead. Rats of similar maturity have only 20% dead cells, which suggest that modern human diet may account for the difference. The brain is most susceptible to damage when energy levels are low. 110. Over-exercising leads to unclear thinking, high core temperature and leaks of excitotoxins into the brain. 111. MSG in Chinese foods produces headaches and other symptoms. After an overnight fast MSG produces these symptoms more extensively. Dietary sucrose reduces glutamate absorbed into the blood. 112. But too much refined carbohydrates [flour, sugar etc] produces diabetes. 114. Glutamate can damage mitochrondial DNA, as in Parkinson's. 115. Brain cells damaged by excitotoxins release free radicals, which damage more cells. Iron also produces harmful free radicals. 116. Glutathione neutralizes free radicals. The blood-brain barrier is damaged by heat stroke, brain trauma, encephalitis & severe hypoglycemia. 118. 20 to 40% of those regularly using neuroleptic tranquilizers develop Parkinson's. 134. Beta-amyloid proteins in the brain are caused by dementia; dementia is not caused by these proteins. 142. Neuron tangles occur mostly in neurons with glutamate receptors and the tangles are caused by excitotoxins. 151. Cells damaged in Alzheimer's are brain cells that use glutamate, aspartate and adenocholine [cholinergic cells]. 152. Excess dietary calcium releases free radicals and prostaglandins. Vitamin E can block glutamate damage. Rheumatoid arthritis sufferers have less Alzheimer's, because of using anti-inflammatory drugs. These drugs inhibit prostaglandins and may stabilize the blood-brain barrier. 154. Glutamate is the most common neurotransmitter, but it must be closely regulated. Excess glutamate is pumped out, but uses high energy. 155. Severe, prolonged hypoglycemia produces brain damage. 159. Hypoglycemia often leads to Alzheimer's. 160. Hypoglycemia may damage the blood-brain barrier, letting insulin reach the brain, where it removes proctective glucose. 162. Glucose transporters are damaged in Alzheimer's; capillary walls are swollen and distorted. Amyloid is a large protein normally blocked by the blood-brain barrier. 167. Glutamate damage is prevented by glucose and magnesium together. 168. Glutamate in the blood lowers the amount of vital glucose in the blood. 170-1. The BBB is damaged by drugs, seizures, electroshock, head trauma, heat, extreme stress, radiation, alkalosis, low oxygen and lead. 181. Low dietary magnesium produces dementia. Diuretics etc produce seizures, delirium, coma, muteness, psychosis etc. Low magnesium is common in alcoholism, diarrhea, kidney disease, diabetes and heart surgery. 187. Avoid excitotoxins from MSG, HVP and aspartame. 188. Get natural nutrients, omega-3 fats [from Carlson's fish oil, flax seeds and grass-fed beef and chicken, complex carbohydrates and isometric exercise. Avoid hypoglycemia from refined carbohydrates and soft drinks. 189. Phosphate in cola drinks depletes magnesium. Broccoli and spinach are high in magnesium. 190. Avoid stimulants like caffeine in coffee and cola, as they deplete brain energy, making it more prone to excitotoxin damage.
- DEMENTIA -- Merck & Co -- http://www.merck.com/mrkshared/mmg/sec5/ch40/ch40a.jsp -- The prevalence of dementia doubles every 5 years after age 60 until about age 90. Dementia affects only 1% of people aged 60 to 64 but 30 to 50% of those over 85. In the US, about 4 to 5 million people are affected. Dementia is the leading cause of institutionalization among the elderly; prevalence among elderly nursing home residents is estimated to be 60 to 80%. In mild cognitive impairment, memory or another aspect of cognition is impaired (not merely slowed) but not severely enough to interfere with daily functioning. Up to 50% of patients with mild cognitive impairment that affects memory develop dementia within 3 yr. Currently, there is no clear way to predict which patients will develop dementia. Alzheimer's disease is the most common type; it accounts for about 2/3 of cases of established dementia. Vascular dementia is probably the next most common type, and dementia with Lewy bodies may account for many cases. The natural history varies depending on the cause of dementia. However, typically, intellectual and other cognitive functions decline inexorably over 2 to 10 yr. Although the decline occurs in a continuum, symptoms can be divided into mild (early), moderate, and severe (late). Personality and behavior changes may develop during any stage. Depression affects up to 40% of patients with dementia, usually when dementia is mild or moderate, and may cause vegetative symptoms (eg, withdrawal, anorexia, weight loss, insomnia). Many people who develop dementia lose weight before other symptoms appear. Some experts hypothesize that weight loss may result from impairment of appetite or metabolic control centers in the brain. Motor and other focal neurologic deficits occur at different stages, depending on the type of dementia; they occur early in vascular dementia and late in Alzheimer's disease. The incidence of seizures increases throughout the course of dementia. Psychosis (hallucinations, delusions, or paranoia) occurs in about 25% of patients with dementia. Eventually, patients cannot perform the most basic activities (eg, eating, walking) and become totally dependent on other people. Memory for recent and remote events is completely lost, and patients may be unable to recognize even close family members. End-stage dementia results in coma and death, usually due to infection originating in the respiratory tract, skin, or urinary tract. ----- Food Additive Excitotoxins and Degenerative Brain Disorders Russell L. Blaylock, MD
__Questioning Chemo, Ralph Moss
Tue Oct 1, 2002 8:58 pm
http://www.mercola.com/article/cancer/cancer_options.htm -- The Man Who Questions Chemotherapy : Dr. Ralph Moss -- *PERSONAL CONSULTATION: Dr. Moss offers written personal consultation/report for people with cancer, providing detailed information, frequently thirty to fifty pages or more, on promising alternative treatments and their sources. The fee is $300. Follow-up written questions and answers are included. Call 718-636-4433, 9AM-5PM EST, Monday-Friday. -- If you are interested in obtaining such a report, which is usually quite helpful and informative, [see the website]. -- Dr. Ralph Moss has written the book, Questioning Chemotherapy, which documents the ineffectiveness of chemotherapy in treating most cancers. On November 19, 1977, he was fired for telling the public the truth. At a press conference on November 18th, he and the Second Opinion working group released a well-documented 48-page report that stated the top officials of the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center had lied about the results of a study performed at the center regarding "Laetrile"--(a natural, alternative cancer treatment). -- Dr. Moss has gained credibility by writing eight books, including his most recent work, Cancer Therapy: The Independent Consumer's Guide to Non-Toxic Treatment. He also wrote The Cancer Industry, a documented research work telling of the enormous financial and political corruption in the "cancer establishment". He indicates that the motivating forces in cancer research and treatment are often power and money, and not the cure of cancer patients. He also writes, The Cancer Chronicles, a newsletter reporting on new cancer treatments and preventive measures. -- Dr. Moss' work documents the ineffectiveness of chemotherapy on most forms of cancer. However, he is fair in pointing out that there are the following exceptions: Acute Iymphocytic leukemia, Hodgkin's disease, and nonseminomatous testicular cancer. Also, a few very rare forms of cancer, including choriocarcinoma, Wilm's tumor, and retinoblastoma. But all of these account for only 2% to 4% of all cancers occurring in the United States. This leaves some 96% to 98% of other cancers, in which chemotherapy doesn't eliminate the disease. The vast majority of cancers, such as breast, colon, and lung cancer are barely touched by chemotherapy. However, there is another category where chemotherapy has a relatively minor effect--The most "successful" of these is in Stage 3 ovarian cancer, where chemotherapy appears to extend life by perhaps eighteen months, and small-cell lung cancer in which chemotherapy might offer six more months. -- Effective cancer treatment is a matter of definition. The FDA defines an "effective" drug as one which achieves a 50% or more reduction in tumor size for 28 days. In the vast majority of cases there is absolutely no correlation between shrinking tumors for 28 days and the cure of the cancer or extension of life. -- When the cancer patient hears the doctor say "effective," he or she thinks, and logically so, that "effective" means it cures cancer. But all it means is temporary tumor shrinkage. -- Chemotherapy usually doesn't cure cancer or extend life, and it really does not improve the quality of the life either. Doctors frequently make this claim though. There are thousands of studies that were reviewed by Dr. Moss as part of the research for his book--and there is not one single good study documenting this claim. -- What patients consider "good quality of life" seems to differ from what the doctors consider. To most it is just common sense that a drug that makes you throw up, and lose your hair, and wrecks your immune system is not improving your quality of life. Chemotherapy can give you life-threatening mouth sores. People can slough the entire lining of the intestines! One longer-term effect is particularly tragic: people who've had chemotherapy no longer respond to nutritional or immunologically-based approaches to their cancers. And since chemotherapy doesn't cure 96% to 98% of all cancers anyway ... People who take chemotherapy have sadly lost their chance of finding another sort of cure. -- It's especially telling that in a number of surveys most chemotherapists have said they would not take chemotherapy themselves or recommend it for their families. Chemotherapy drugs are the most toxic substances ever put deliberately into the human body. They are known poisons, they are designed poisons. The whole thing began with experiments with "mustard gas," the horrible chemical-warfare agents from World War I. -- Dr. Moss' position on chemotherapy is supported by many major students of the study of cancer treatment. Following are some examples: Dr. John Bailar is the chief of epidemiology at McGill University in Montreal and was formerly the editor of the Journal of the National Cancer Institute. In 1986 the New England Journal of Medicine published an article by Dr. Bailer and Dr. Elaine Smith, a colleague from the University of Iowa. Bailer and Smith wrote: "Some 35 years of intense and growing efforts to improve the treatment of cancer have not had much overall effect on the most fundamental measure of clinical outcome - death. The effort to control cancer has failed so far to obtain its objectives.
- Dr. John Cairns, a professor of microbiology at Harvard, published his view in Scientific American in 1985, "that basically the war on cancer was a failure and that chemotherapy was not getting very far with the vast majority of cancers." -- As far back as 1975, Nobel Laureate James Watson of DNA fame was quoted in the New York Times saying that the American public had been "sold a nasty bill of goods about cancer." -- In 1991, Dr. Albert Braverman, Professor of Hematology and Oncology at the State University of New York, Brooklyn, published an article in Lancet titled "Medical Oncology in the 1990s," in which he wrote: "The time has come to cut back on the clinical investigation of new chemotherapeutic regimens for cancer and to cast a critical eye on the way chemotherapeutic treatment is now being administered." -- Dr. Braverman says that there is no solid tumor incurable in 1976 that is curable today. Dr. Moss confirms this and claims that the greatest breakthrough in the objective study of chemotherapy came from a biostatistician at the University of Heidelberg, Dr. Ulrich Abel. His critique focused on whether chemotherapy effectively prolonged survival in advanced epithelial cancer. His answer was that it is not effective. He summarized and extended his findings and concluded that chemotherapy overall is ineffective. A recent search turned up exactly zero reviews of his work in American journals, even though it was published in 1990. The belief is that this is not because his work was unimportant--but because it's irrefutable.
- With the extensive documentation in Dr. Moss' book, and all the statistics developed by the experts, why is chemotherapy still pushed by the large majority of oncologists? Dr. Moss feels that "there's a tremendous conflict going on in the minds of honest, sensitive, caring oncologists." They're in a very difficult position because they've been trained to give these drugs. And they've devoted many years to reaching a very high level of expertise in the knowledge of poisonous, deadly compounds. They're really in a bind, because they went into oncology to help the cancer patient, yet the tools they've been given don't work. And they see what happens to physicians who "step out of line" and treat cancer with alternative means. -- Armed raids, loss of licensure, professional smearing and ostracism are some of the consequences. These could all be related to the quotation in the book made by Dr. Lundberg, editor of the Journal of the American Medical Association. At a recent National Institute of Health meeting, he said of chemotherapy: "[It's] a marvelous opportunity for rampant deceit. So much money is there to be made that ethical principles can be overrun sometimes in a stampede to get at physicians and prescribers." You never heard that on the evening news. -- The economics of cancer treatment are astounding. Cancer treatment is close to $100 billion annually ($100,000,000,000). The chemotherapy part of that by 1995 will be up to $8.5 billion. Looking from another angle: the Bristol Myers company owns patents on twelve of the nearly forty "FDA-approved" chemotherapeutic drugs. The president, past president, chairman of the board, and a couple of the directors of Bristol Myers all hold positions on the board at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center. -- Dr. Moss' book details the failures (and very few successes) for chemotherapy with more than fifty types of cancer, includes a complete description of the major chemotherapy drugs, and has a section about questions to ask your doctor. All of Dr. Moss' books and Cancer Chronicles newsletters are available from Equinox Press, 1-800-929-WELL or 718-636-4433. -- We are obviously losing ground with conventional cancer treatment, because the death rates keep going up. The reason for this is because conventional treatment is based on a faulty standard: That the body must be purged of cancer by aggressive and toxic methods such as surgery chemotherapy and radiation therapy. This, of course, seemed reasonable back in 1894 when William Halsted, M.D. did the first radical mastectomy, but it has proven to be so wrong over the last 50 years that continuing to adhere to it constitutes more fraud than honest mistake. However, this standard still dominates conventional cancer therapy, and until that changes, we will continue to lose ground with cancer.
- Dr. Whitaker, a firm believer in Dr. Moss' work and alternative cancer therapy goes on to give some of his personal views: -- Statistics Don't Tell the Real Story -- What is lost in the unemotional statistic of 500,000 cancer deaths per year is how those people died. Dr. Whitaker goes on to say more about the treatment of cancer: In my opinion, conventional cancer therapy is so toxic and dehumanizing that I fear it far more than I fear death from cancer. We know that conventional therapy doesn't work--if it did, you would not fear cancer any more than you fear pneumonia. It is the utter lack of certainty as to the outcome of conventional treatment that virtually screams for more freedom of choice in the area of cancer therapy. Yet most so-called alternative therapies regardless of potential or proven benefit, are outlawed, which forces patients to submit to the failures that we know don't work, because there's no other choice. -- Personal Belief Systems Determine the Choices You Make -- Because cancer treatment is such a sensitive issue, I need to set some ground rules before I tell you what I would do if I had cancer. What follows is what I personally would do. It is not a recommendation for you, and should not be considered as such. It is not even what my wife would do(that would be her decision), nor is it what my young son would do (that would be the joint decision of my wife and myself). The choices to be made in treating cancer are not easy ones, because there is so little certainty of cure in any of them. The course that someone chooses to take is very personal, and reflects not only that person's knowledge of the options, but also his/her beliefs. -- Yet, because we are strongly influenced by our natural fear of death, we lineup for conventional cancer therapy, not so much believing that it will work, but hoping that it will not fail. If expensive, debilitating procedures to eliminate acne scars had the same failure rate as cancer treatment, they would be abandoned. It is only because cancer is so often fatal that conventional approaches were not abandoned long ago. We continue to use them not because they work, but because those who perform them have so vigorously eliminated any other choice.
My Imaginary Cancer Scenario - (by Dr. Whitaker) -- Though I would approach my own dilemma with hopes of total cure, I would be the first to admit that, regardless of the course I took, the chances of that are small. Consequently, my choices of cancer therapy are a mix of science and philosophy. They are as much a reflection of how I would struggle for survival as of how I would wish to die if the struggle failed. For the purposes of this discussion, let us assume that I have just been diagnosed with cancer of the lung, and a particularly virulent one. (Please understand that I do not have cancer, nor do I smoke.) Before going into what I would do and why, let me say what I wouldn't do, and why. -- I Wouldn't Take A Passive Role -- If I am going to fight for my life, I want to do just that. I am always perplexed by the news stories of some celebrity, doped to the gills with heinous poison, "courageously battling for his life." What does this mean? The celebrity, who simply accepts conventional cancer therapy, is no more "courageous" than a laboratory mouse. This is not to say that what the celebrity is doing is wrong, only that it is the very opposite of a willful act of courage. -- Taking a passive role with today's conventional therapy is terribly dangerous. Recently Jackie Kennedy, after a "courageous fight," succumbed to non-Hodgkin's lymphoma - or did she? Her early demise, attributed to the cancer, was a shock to cancer specialists worldwide, and brought into question the real cause of her death. She had been given an unproved protocol of very high-dose chemotherapy. The drugs alone could easily have caused her death - and this would not be unusual. There are numerous cases of iatrogenic (doctor-induced) deaths from chemotherapy. -- I'd Actively Fight For My Life -- On the other hand, the cancer patient who says, "no, thanks" to chemotherapy recommended by large cancer treatment centers, and takes off to Grand Bahamas Island to receive Immuno-Augmentative Therapy (IAT); or to Houston, Texas, to receive antineoplastons from Dr. Stanislaw Burzynski; or who heads to the public library to make a battle plan, has begun fighting and is acting courageously. -- Whether I win or lose, that is the course I would take. What have I got to lose? Conventional treatment is toxic and simply doesn't work, so I would throw my lot with something safe that might work, and folks, a lot of approaches fit that description. I also believe patients who seek alternative therapies are more optimistic. They have only one worry - the cancer- not the cancer and the therapy! -- And Now. Here's What I Would Do -- (by Dr. Whitaker) -- I'd turn my back on 50 years of institutionalized expertise, because it follows the wrong paradigm. Everything that is done in medicine or in any other discipline fits some paradigm. The paradigm I use for cancer is that it is a systemic problem in which the normal control mechanisms of your body are altered. Your immune system likely bears the largest burden for this control; thus, all techniques that enhance it are promising. Those that damage it are not. -- Also, cancer cells are different from normal cells in many ways, including their metabolic profile. At least one non-toxic therapy, hydrazine sulfate, takes advantage of this difference. It has been shown in double-blind trials published in respectable journals to significantly reduce the severe weight loss (cachexia) of advanced cancer, and markedly improve the patient's emotional state, almost to the point of euphoria. It is also inexpensive. Even though hydrazine sulfate has been shown to be effective and non-toxic, and it makes the patient feel better, it is ignored by every major cancer center. Yet I would take it immediately. (For more on hydrazine sulfate, see Ralph Moss' book, The Cancer Industry.) -- First, I would Change My Diet -- I would switch to a mostly vegetarian diet. I'd also take the Nutritional Supplements "Green foods," such as GREENS+ (800/643-1210) or Green Magma (from Healthy Directions; 800/722-8008, ext. 572). These supplements include the phyto-chemicals, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals required for optimal health. I would enhance that basic program with the following: -- Vitamin C - 10,000 mg per day in divided doses. Ewan Cameron, a Scottish physician, did a study in which 100 cancer patients were given 10,000 mg of vitamin C for the rest of their lives, while control patients were not. The patients on vitamin C lived much longer than the age-matched controls. The Mayo Clinic did two studies on vitamin C, and in both studies found that vitamin C did not help. However, both studies were set up in a manner that almost guaranteed failure. Frankly, I think that this was done intentionally to generate negative publicity for this non-toxic approach. -- Cartilage - A three- to four-month trial of bovine or shark cartilage. The mucopolysaccharides in cartilage stimulate the immune system and normalize malignant cells. Ninety percent of patients with a variety of cancers responded to a clinical trial of bovine cartilage; shark cartilage has demonstrated success rates of 25 to 50%. VitaCarte bovine cartilage is available from Phoenix BioLabs, 800/947-8482 (suggested dose is 9 g a day). Shark cartilage can be obtained from MHP 800-647-0074 (suggested dose is 1 g per 3 pounds of body weight). -- Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) - Used as an effective therapy in congestive heart failure, CoQ10 has only recently been studied as a cancer treatment. Cancer patients have been found to have deficiencies of CoQ10. Clinical trials in breast cancer have resulted in no further metastases, improved quality of life (no weight loss and less pain), and partial remission in six of 32 patients. Vitaline makes a chewable CoQ10 with vitamin E (800/648-4755; 503/482-9231, in Canada). -- Essiac Tea - 2 ounces 3 times a day. This blend of four herbs -burdock root, sheep's sorrel, slippery elm and Indian rhubarb root- has its genesis in Native American medicinal folklore. Since it was "discovered" by Canadian nurse Rene Caisse in the 1920s, thousands have claimed to have had their cancers cured by this tea. I'd keep on searching. We have the formula if you are interested in purchasing the individual herbs in bulk. -- Finally, you should know that if I were battling cancer - or any serious disease, for that matter- I would be in a constant search for effective, non-toxic therapies. One place to begin that search is with Ralph Moss, Ph.D. He is probably the most knowledgeable writer in the world on alternative therapies for cancer, and has recently published a 530-page book, Cancer Therapy, The Independent Consumer's Guide to Nontoxic Treatment and Prevention. (Equinox Press, New York, NY, 1995). In addition, Dr. Moss offers a report service called Healing Choices, which ascertains, through a questionnaire, the type and severity of cancer, and suggests alternatives. This costs $250, and it is well worth it. If I had cancer, I would start here for more information. You can get more information by sending a large SASE to The Cancer Chronicles, 2 Lincoln Square, Suite 31A, New York, NY 10023, or by calling Melissa Wolf at 718/636-4433. -- Another source of information is People Against Cancer, which provides a comprehensive counseling service called the Alternative Therapy Program. It includes a review of your medical records by a network of doctors using alternative therapies. It also costs $250. People Against Cancer can be reached at 515/972-4444. Their Internet address is: http://www.dodgenet.com/nocancer. -- This is certainly not my final say on cancer treatment, because it changes as new research is done. I want to say again that what I would do is not a recommendation for you. However, it is not a reasonable belief to think that conventional cancer experts offer the best approaches for most cancers. There is just too much evidence to the contrary. One of these days there may not be a need for ''alternative' approaches to cancer. Until then, look for the answers to the cancer riddle in the growing field of alternatives, because they are obviously not present in our armamentarium of conventional therapies.